Standard distance between skirting boards and floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!

Is there a standard distance that you should leave between the bottom of skirting boards and carpet underlay?

I'm having new carpets installed on Saturday, and have been told by a builder-friend that you need to have the skirting installed first, but he didn't say what sort of gap I should leave for the fitters to tuck the carpet into.
I read one post on here that mentioned a 5mm gap (indirectly), but I don't know if that's from skirting to floorboard, or skirting to underlay.

I found this post in a search, but it doesn't really answer my Q:

//www.diynot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=266952#266952

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
no you put the skirting to the floor,if you want to leave a small gap for expansion then put a piece of glass paper underneath the skirting then fix it to the wall,move the glass paper as you fix the skirting,only time i leave a gap is for laminate flooring.

i concur with gregers.

it is only by accident, that you end up with gaps under the skirting board that is fitted with carpet in mind.

in fact we use a timber kneeler to force the skirting 'home' prior to fixing to bowed floors.

Ok great, thanks guys!

Is it a problem if the carpets go in BEFORE the skirting? The grips are already nailed down, and a gap has been left between the grips and the walls to allow for skirting to be put in place. If I told the carpet fitters that we wanted to put skirting in later and gave them a sample, would they be able to fit the carpets properly or is that just asking for trouble?

Thanks for all the help!

Sponsored Links
if you fit the boards after the carpet, I don't see a big prob. you will rule a line on the wall first with your spirit level for the top of the skirting. but I would do any drilling or plaster patching before the carpet goes down.

don't fit it so tight that the skirting will pull off when the carpet is moved

if you can push a stiff bit of card under the skirting it will be easier and cleaner to paint

btw you can use no-more-nails to fix skirting to the wall. otherwise pull the carpet back and protect it from plaster dust.

personally id fit the skirting 1st,if your paying out to have carpet fitted they stretch the carpet to fit,if you then take it up are you going to be able to make it fit exactly the same after?

Hmm, yeah good call.

Well, we ended up cancelling the carpet fitting for the time being as there was still FAR too much to do.

Thanks for all the help guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back