Skirting Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a carpet in the back bedroom (of a ground floor flat), and the carpet being forced underneath the skirting boards forced them away from the wall at their heightest point, upto 1" on one of the walls.

Cold drafts are coming in form the gaps and on the very back wall (external) condensation and subsequently mold is growing. The latter problem will hopefully be solved by opening the window in the day. But the boards need to be reattached.

It is likely that behind the walls is a wafer thin board of plaster/cardboard and then a gap (up to 4") then the external masonry.

A nearby DIY shop recommended No More Nails, but the force required to push the skirting boards towards the walls is so large, I would may have to use my feet.

I have a couple of photographs attached. Thanks for your help. Dixon.

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_102201966.jpg
    IMG_20160130_102201966.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 207
Sponsored Links
Leaving aside the draught issue or whether the fitter should have tried to force the carpet under the skirting in the first place fixing with no more nails or similar is relatively simple . Assuming it will go back to it's original position , easy to tell if the paint lines meet up neatly , use a short board with one end on the floor and the other on top of the skirting and put your weight on that . With the glue put on you can either put a couple of screws in place or alternatively pile some weight , bricks containers of water or whatever, onto the board to hold the skirting in place until set.

Such force to reattach would suggest board is cut too long? but I usually brace with timber when gluing boards to wall. A short length pushed up to board held with a single nail through the carpet into the floor board will hold it very securely. Nail will leave no damage to carpet when removed.

Sponsored Links
I know this probably not what you want to hear, but you are probably better off, taking the skirting off and re fixing, the reality is that the carpet should have been fitted between the gripper and the skirting and not forced under it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back