Skirting Deeper than door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The skirting I'd like to put on our walls is about 5-6mm deeper than the door frame, see pic below, sorry it's a bit blurry. Walls had to be dot and dabbed which brought the wall out, how can we get the skirting to fit level? Skirting is Torus 18mm deep.

Thanks

full

Sponsored Links
full

On openings in the midddle of a wall: quick and dirty way (not ideal): shallow chamfer trim cut on the ends of the skirting (block plane or chop saw). Better way: remove the architraves from the door casings, plane-up and fix thin packer strips all round to build-up the thickness of the door casing, then refit the architraves. Looks better, but much more effort

If the door is binding on the skirting when opened it may be necessary to plane a shallow taper onto the bck of the skirting before fixing it. The top of the moulding generally allows you 2 to 4mm to achieve this without compromiing the moulding profile

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I'm being a bit thick, quick and dirty do you mean to bevel cut the end so it slopes to be level with the door lining, does it have to be from the front or can it be done from the back.

The other way isn't really an option as it is the door lining that it protrudes from, there is no architrave on the door yet.

Luckily the skirting isn't binding and the door opens freely.

Sponsored Links
Thicken the casing and narrow the door??
Would work, and be tidy, but it looks like a hollow door, though 5mm off might not be a problem.

Otherwise you'll need to chamfer the skirting. I've done that in a couple of places (from the front), and I think it looks OK.

Cheers
Richard

If you feel like spending a little extra time on this you could do it the old fashioned way and fully round and contour the end. Pretty easy with a sharp chisel and a bit of sand paper... Just a thought.
torus.jpg

If you feel like spending a little extra time on this you could do it the old fashioned way and fully round and contour the end. Pretty easy with a sharp chisel and a bit of sand paper... Just a thought.
torus.jpg
That's a really good idea. Another way to do that is to make an external mitre, and cut the back flush. In fact I've done that myself to avoid running skirting behind a wood-burning stove, and it looks OK.

Cheers
Richard

I used to have a 1905 house, and the portals to the principal rooms had bevelled square blocks where the bottom of the architrave would have been, meeting the skirting, but thicker. You sometimes see less substantial squares, often with a carved rose, in the top corners of architraves. I have an idea they are called pediment blocks or plinth blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back