skirting for stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
don't want this to sound like a stupid question, getting my hall plastered and told my dad to ask the plaster to wait till i have replace the shabby skirting board, my dad said you can't do that they are connected to the stairs! i was lead to believe i could just take them off and get them replaced who is right here or is every house different.....

Sponsored Links
You wish to replace a skirting board or boards?
Do these boards run around the room?
Or, are they connected to the flight of stairs, and rise up at the angle of the stairs?
Why not google some pics of stair construction or post a photo on here.

The "stair stringer" looks like this when there are no stairs attached to it. In other words, it's not a skirting board that is put on afterwards, it is supporting the treads (and risers) from all directions. Older houses will vary in how the stairs were built.

13201d1228526028-stair-jig-stans-housed-stair-stringer.jpg

Gaz :)

Last edited:
i think the stair stringer is what my dad was trying to explain to me, so i take it he is right then, so i have to live with shabby stair skirting, :( thanks for replies(y)

Sponsored Links
this is pretty much what it looks like all the way up uneven and many coats of paint, everthing is going to be new so this will look rubbish, suppose i will have to make the most of it(n)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back