Where laminate floor meets stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm planning to fit a laminate floor in my hall & lounge diner over the bank holiday weekend. My stairs run from the dining room to the 1st floor landing, what is the recommended method of leaving an expansion gap around the 1st riser of the stairs? The stairs are currently carpeted and will remain so - I plan to replace the capet, but not for a while. Also should I cut the newl post and string (I think that's what it's called - the skirting that runs up the stairs) or fit a quadrant? I've removed all the skiring from elsewhere in the rooms.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I would pull away the carpet and leave the standard 6-8mm at the bottom of the first step. The carpet fitters will be able to disguise this when you have the new carpet laid.

I wouldn't even consider cutting the string on the stairs as this is what holds the stairs up and would weaken it. I would use quadrant here and around the newel post just for ease really. If your skirtings and newel post are painted you could paint it the same colour so it blends in more.

Hope this helps, good luck.

sxhall :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back