Uneven Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My skirting the Hall way built from cement is very uneven, I would like to completely remove it and fit in the skirting boards out of B & Q. Is that a good or bad idea.
It was sort of plastered onto the wall and they never done a great job of it looks a mess, :eek:
What is the best way to deal it?

Sponsored Links
if i understand it as "that the skirting is made from mortar (have seen this in a few oldish houses)".

there is no problem knocking it off with a lump hammer and chisel but it will make a mess initially. it's also bound to damage the plaster though and some new plaster in a few areas will be needed.

skirtings can be bought in a few depths (typ 4", 5" & 6"). i think the 6" might help in your case to cover over the area where the existing mortar has been removed. would not buy from B and Q (expensive for timber) - go to a builders or timber merchants.

stick the new skirting on with no nails adhesive and put caulk into any gaps along the top edge (smooth with your finger using 1/3 fairy to water mix in an old spray bottle).

you will need a coping saw to cut the profile of the skirting on internal corners and a mitre saw at the external corners.

skirt - the other advantage, apart from price & quality, of getting the skirting from a timber merchant is that it'll be available in longer lengths than that offered in the DIY sheds. Longer lengths = fewer joins. If it's going to be painted consider primed MDF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back