No plaster behind skirting!!??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Having a room decorated before new wood floor fitted. Am removing skirting so the floor slides under. However the guys who built the house only saw fit to plaster to the skirting - there is block behind the removed skirting. There is no plaster there, so there is a step in wall level down to the floor. Question is, what do I do (prior to decorating) to allow me to refit new skirting after the floor is fitted? Do I bung a load of plaster on the 'gap' left by the lack of plaster (if so what type), do I hope gripfill 'fills' the void or is there another way? If I leave it, I suspect the new skirting will tend not to sit plumb and won't be able to be screwed / nailed in.
Help
Thanks
SS

Sponsored Links
2 questions....

1, is your subfloor wood plank, chipboard or concrete ?

2, How was the skirting originally fixed ?

1. Concrete
2. Nailed - with pretty heafty nails. I'm replacing with 18mm mdf. Originalwas 20mm pine

Ok, the reason your plaster is short of the concrete floor is so not to bridge the dampcourse, which sits just above the concrete. You will see it if you look. This is standard building practice and the guys who built the house saw fit to do it right lol !!
Wooden floors can be plasterd to the bottom because the dampcourse is underneath the joists.
So don't fill the gap with any plaster, you will start the beginnings of "rising damp".. use plastic packers to fill the gap, then plug & screw the skirting.
You can use 4, 5, 6 or 7" skirting but the taller the skirting the easier the job to get a decent fix. Rememer the new floor will lift the height approx 20mm.. or however thick the floor is.

Talking of which,, how are you installing the new floor, floating or glueing ?

Good luck..

Sponsored Links
Thanks
Having removed a bit more and taken a closer look, it seems they have plastered the base coat of render to the floor and then the skim coat has been done with skirtings in palce - so only the skim coat is missing behind the boards (approx 3mm deep). Do I need to pack this and screw or will gripfill do the job? Where do I get packers from if I need them?

floating floor by the way.
Shaun

Thanks
Having removed a bit more and taken a closer look, it seems they have plastered the base coat of render to the floor and then the skim coat has been done with skirtings in palce - so only the skim coat is missing behind the boards (approx 3mm deep). Do I need to pack this and screw or will gripfill do the job? Where do I get packers from if I need them?

floating floor by the way.
Shaun

Use taller skirting to get above the skim layer and pack the back of the skirting with offcuts of wood to get the correct spacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back