Skirting Removal and Refitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wanting to replace the laminate flooring in a room, however, it looks like the flooring was laid before the skirtings and the radiator pipes are right against the skirting. There is a radiator on the other side of the room with a similar problem so can't really just slide the flooring under one side and remove the opposite skirting. Same problem at both sides.

Any thoughts on how I might go about removing these skirtings and refitting them. Or is it too much hassle and I should just go with beading - not my preference at all. I don't mind fitting new skirting if this helps. I just want to be sure not to damage the pipes.

rads.jpeg

Thanks
PJ

Sponsored Links
Multi tool to cut the skirting either side of the rad pipes and then a flat crowbar to remove.

Thank you.
So I assume that I would then need new skirting, and slide this behind the pipes?
I need to check, but I hope the skirting is not glued on or it might be a nightmare to remove any of it.

Sponsored Links
If it's a recent house you can expect it to be glued on.

Is the existing flooring under or butted to the skirting? If it's under it may be easier to remove the existing laminate and carefully replace under the skirting.

Thank you.
The laminate is (as far as I can tell) is laid on top of a concrete floor and definitely goes under the skirting. Not removing the skirtings would be my preferred option, but how would I get the final line of flooring laid as I am not sure how I would get this under the skirting on the wall opposite to where I started.
It looks like the laminate was laid before the skirting was fixed when new (20 years ago).
This is an apartment that I am purchasing so access is not easy currently so don't know if the skirting is glued on or nailed. If it is glued, I assume it will be very difficult to remove? Is there a technique for doing this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back