Skirting Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a recommended skirting height to ceiling height general rule of thumb?

We have 9.5ft high ceilings and so need a decent size board to make the finish look right. Me and my partner have different ideas of what the correct height would be.

What would you recommend.

Sponsored Links
Is there a recommended skirting height to ceiling height general rule of thumb?

We have 9.5ft high ceilings and so need a decent size board to make the finish look right. Me and my partner have different ideas of what the correct height would be.

What would you recommend.

Matter of taste, doesn't really do anything apart from hide gaps, but with ceilings that size I'd agree with Notch, ie a good size one.

moulded high skirtings, no matter the material, typically come expensive per metre.
for a cheaper option: you can rip smooth faced ply or similar to about the height needed, and then, after pre-painting, plant a bit of moulding on top.

Sponsored Links
I need to look into the prices but assuming cost is not the main driver what material would you recommend. I know MDF is used in almost all new builds and i have used myself previously. Is there any issues with using MDF? I assume it will be the most cost effective pre molded option.

Id go 200mm / 8"

Anything smaller would look a bit puny
I would use 6-8” skirting , though it’s personal choice , homes with 8 ft ceilings have a variety of sizes , have seen 2 1/2” up
I need to look into the prices but assuming cost is not the main driver what material would you recommend. I know MDF is used in almost all new builds and i have used myself previously. Is there any issues with using MDF? I assume it will be the most cost effective pre molded option.
Yes , I used 165mm pre primed mdf , 4.2m lengths from Selco .

MDF is not only the cheapest, it's also available in long lengths (we see it up to 6 metres - so less joints) and it paints out far better than softwood does (no knots, etc)

There are some massive skirtings in houses -I made some for a builder last year 370mm high

If you can, use mdf -wide skirting in pine will cup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back