Skirting off to lay laminate - what about the base blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a carpeted living room that I will be going to lay laminate down next month and I'd rather take the skirtings off to avoid having beading all the way round the living room.

I am assuming that, as long as we don't break any of the skirtings they can simply be put back on?

What about the base blocks though; would they just be cut down and replaced? (Or would that look silly) Not too keen on taking off the door finishings too as that would lead to even more work.

We are also going to be getting the ceiling and walls plastered. So I am assuming the laminate goes down first and all joinery work is done so that when the plastering is done nothing is disturbed?

Thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Is the floor solid or suspended?
What underlay is going down?
Use a utility knife to cut the paint seal from skirting to the decoration. Do the same at all mitred and scribed corners - lightly cut the mitre.
Gently prise the skirting away from the wall with a flat scraper.
The skirtings can go back on. - if they hit any abutments above them, then they will have to be cut or scribed around.
The plinth blocks can be cut in position on the wall, so can the architraves and door jambs. You slide the laminate under them.
How you finish at the doorway(s) threshold - what threshold strip/tansition will be the next decision for you.

Do all your plastering and decorating before the laminate.

Read similar posts below.

Suspended t and g floor. Howdens HP underlay going under the lamknate

So should I take off the skirting, base blocks and architraves before plastering > plaster and decorate > fit laminate > replace skirting, blocks and architraves. ( I imagine architraves will need cut as will be too tall).

Will door jambs need replaced too? Architraves etc might not meet the door jamb as plaster will bring the wall out.

Lot of work just for laminate !

Cheers
Stu

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that you were only skimming over existing wall plaster?
You only have to undercut the door jambs and trim, as I explained above.

Perhaps call a local builder to come on site to give you a heads up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back