skirting troubles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I'm replacing the skirting after putting a new floor down. The walls are structural, with un-skimmed 1970's dry-lining, which stops about an inch above the floor. It's a bit soft and flexible just there.

I want to put boards on varnished not painted. Is this an ok thing to do generally speaking? I'm going to need to pack out the gap with something fairly sturdy to stop the board tipping into it. Would that foamy stuff that goes hard be ok, if i trimmed it flush after?

Not sure what's best - any tips? Thanks for your time. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Oh yes and when i said unpainted i mean with gripfill or similar.

I would'nt worry too much about the gap, if you are using the likes of 'gripfill' or 'no-nails' to fix the skirting then the odd 'blob' of the adhesive on the skirting along the level of the gap will (once hardened) stop the skirting board from tipping into it

You will have a nightmare using expanding foam and I'd guarantee most of it would spill out, down the skirting and onto your new floor. Use pine decorators gault to fill in the gap at the top and so long as you've used no more nails to secure then I'd be unconcerned about the gap at the bottom. You will need to purchase a gun to apply these.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

it sounds reassuring, and i'm almost not worried anymore.

The thing that makes me slightly cautious is that the skirting is quite low - 2.5" - and the bevel starts at 1" up. As the gap is in many places about 1" deep, i'm left with that concern that a tapering bit of wood fixed to the dry-lining won't be enough to combat a kick to the fatter bit of the board.

Probly not a concern, eh?

Ta again for your input

I've just done exactly the same thing, with the gap at the bottom the same as you describe. I used 'no nails' (recommended by someone who had done the same) and it seems fine. I didn't fill, and theres no flex. Hope it works for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back