Skoda Octavia Reliability & Value!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Know this is a new forum so will bear with it.

Just interested to see if there are any high-miles co. car/ taxi drivers out there with Octavia TDi's.

Wanted to know what bits had dropped off or worn out, if any.

I have an 02 TDi Elegance estate with all the extras. Under £15K, in case there are any VW or Audi drivers reading this!!

Really amazed what fantastic value these cars are. Talked to an Audi dealer the other day, and to get an A4 estate with same eqipment would be twice the price!

Where else can you get a 90bhp TDi with met paint, 6 CD, PAS 4EW, 4AB, Cruise, ABS, Park sensors, Cat 1 alarm, alloys etc etc... for that price. I am well chuffed.

Any takers??

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Just interested to see if there are any high-miles co. car/ taxi drivers out there with Octavia TDi's.
Wanted to know what bits had dropped off or worn out, if any.
My friend is a taxi driver who drive a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi have done 137,000 miles, now coming up to 3 years old and has nothing done on the warranty.What we got to remember is,that the high mileage car are more reliable than a low mileage car !
I recommended him to use Mobil 1 Oil as it's the best engine oil in the world and will prolong and protect your engine life.It is dearer but will lasts up to 50,000 miles !!! I have to be careful what I say as it's a trade secret as to what ingredient they use.

know all about it - my Octavia uses Castrol SLXII as it has a variable service interval - anything up to 30,000 miles on one oil change.

Have managed 18K before the computer told me to get a service - no doubt the sales rep gets a lot more.

The computer tells you to get a service at pre-programmed intervals, when you hit a certain age or mileage. So it doesn't have to be a problem that causes the message to come up.

Caught me off guard when my car had its first birthday as I hadn't thought of this and spent a morning checking fluid levels, looking underneath etc. before realising it just wanted a one year service.

Sponsored Links
Adam

My car has a variable service, so anywhere between 10 - 30K depending upon how you drive. 18's not bad I suppose for someone like me who does town/m-way 75/25%.

What car is yours, with the fixed service interval?

securespark said:
What car is yours, with the fixed service interval?

Late model Vauxhall Astra, although it is the same on my Mum's Peugeot. The variable service interval started with BMW didn't it? Problem was, you could get it reset at certain back-street places so you could sell it on claiming it was driven carefully despite the fact it had been razzed.

When electronics were introduced to cars (service indicators, mileo's etc), they were "a good thing" because they were "tamperproof". Ha,ha!!

The car manufacturers forgot that everyone is always one step ahead. Just look in YP for people willing to zero your electronic speedo NQA!!

In fact, even in the Octavia handbook, it tells you how to reset the service computer......defeats the object, doesn't it?

If in the market for 2nd hand car, would I choose one with 2 documented services over 40k miles or one with 4 ?

Stuff the computers, ok for owner ... not for buyer !
FSH main dealer ... no guarantee ... but shows that the previous owner was prepared to spend on servicing.

Ok, not best looking motors in the world, but am on 3rd Nissan, current one at 60,000 miles from new ... 1 front set disc pads, 1 side light bulb.
But only 18k miles per set front tyres. (driving technique probably)
Never let down on the road by any one of the cars, 210,000 accumulated miles to date.
Rear view camera ... ace for parking !!!
Am I a satisfied customer?

P

18k for tyres, thats good.......mine last about 1500miles......tis on the back of Kawasaki :rolleyes:

I have only had new tyres once: the front ones at 21K miles. I went for original equipment ones so they all match and allegedly save a bit of fuel.

Of course when you queue to pay and everyone in front of you pays half what you do it can make you wonder if the OEM tyres are twice as good as the branded non OEM ones. :mad:

On the bright side, a whole set of Continentals for my car is not much more than one tyre on my dad's, and seeing as they last 14 times as long as il78's then I am getting good wear out of them. :LOL:

I use Pirelli or Firestone, on my Vectra they last about 28K on the front, then get put on the back and the back ones on the front, then I change all in one go.

the two changes I have now done since buying the car have lasted about 40K miles per set, so not too bad.

Just coming up to set 3 in about 15K Miles as I have reduced the last set by carrying a lot of heavy loads in the car and driving it hard round country lanes, I think I have reduced the life by about 20% from before.

Micheldever Tyres near Winchester are the bees knees. Been there twice and they pee on other peoples prices. Whenever I'm near the limit, I make a pilgrimage down to Micheldever Station........

I haven't a clue what tyres my bentley has on it, any recommendations?

Eddie M said:
I haven't a clue what tyres my bentley has on it, any recommendations?

Was wondering why you were posting here, then I remembered: Bentley are owned by Volkswagen now and hence the Bentley Continental is just a rebadged Skoda :LOL:

Nah, seriously, I love Bentleys :D

I was thinking about the Skoda issue the other day: one of the main reasons I wouldn't buy a Skoda is that there isn't a model for me. I really hate the way a VW Bora looks, and seeing as the Octavia is a rebadged VW Bora then that is an explanation as to why I am not a huge fan of it :D If they brought out a more Golf-looking thing (it is after all the same chassis as the Octavia anyway) then I would consider that.

Sponsored Links
Back