Skoda Octavia Reliability & Value!

Just a few more days, Adam, and Skoda will be releasing their all-new Octavia.

I'm not having a go at all, but do me a favour, nip to your nearest dealer and have a butchers at a new one and tell me if you think it is a rebadged VW.

BTW before you make a decision, look at the price tag on the roof.....

I actually think Skoda have done an excellent job of outdoing VW in many areas. Bit of a boo-boo for VW - their budget brand faring better than them!

Sponsored Links
It’s becoming well known that Škoda owners are a shrewd and perceptive bunch,

Lifted directly from the Skoda website :D

Turns out my nearest dealer is only a mile away, so I might just have a look!

Could be worth trying a used one too, as my Focus experience has shown, some cars stay screwed together better than others.

Depends on your budget. If you're into nearly new, you may as well go the whole hog and get a new model, even if you wait a few months till 04/54 new shape Octavias hit the 2nd hand market.

If you can afford it, go for the new model, that way you lose less come resale time. Imagine getting a run-out model. You will have to secure a hefty discount to take into account the fact that it will be worth less come resale than an equivalent new shape model.

Nah, what I meant was more that if the older model is still screwed together well at 30,000 miles then there is a good chance the new one will be too. But if it was rattling and squeaking then there is a good chance the new one will be too.

Possibly not the best test if the new Octavia is entirely new, but most entirely new cars aren't really nowadays anyway! The Mk5 Astra has a lot of Mk4 engineering in it, which had a few parts of the Mk3 in it.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, some cars can be traced back a long way. The Metro (1980-1990) has an engine that dates back to 1948 and the Moggy Minor!

Some old push-rod Ford engines went back to the Anglia!!

And (bizzarely) there is one part number from the old Beetle that survives on the new one. I don't think it's the same PART (although I may be wrong), just that some weepy-eyed engineer wanted a bit of history to live on so numbered a new Beetle part with an old code.

There have been some strange part-sharing exercises in the past! Look at a 70's/80's Lotus and you will see the interior door release handles are identical to the ones from Maxi, Allegro early Sherpa's, etc.... Lowers the tone a bit when you realise your super-duper sports motor has a bit of Longbridge rot in it!!!

Hi All

I've been running a Skoda Octavia TDI Estate for the last 6 months without any problem.

The local dealership are the old fashioned personal service type set up. Nothing is too much trouble. I bought the car because it was best value for money and £4k less than the VW Golf Estate. As for resale value I couldn't find a second hand one that hadn't been a Taxi. The dealer sells 3 Octavias and one Superb(passat) a week as taxis.

Cheers

S

I recall following a Crocus Elan many years ago, the silencer, being the final item in the exhaust line, broke free with a short length of exhaust pipe still attached, this dropped, hit a cats eye, flipped sideways resulting in the broken pipe jamming into the spokes of a rear wire wheel, NASTY, expensive looking mess !!

P

Skwirrel

Welcome to the growing DIYnot Octavia Owners Club....OK, there's only 2 of us, but heck, who knows!

My Octavia is not a taxi! Well, unless you include ferrying the bratlings around...
Have seen an Octavia taxi in N Manchester (ha,ha!) with VW wheel trims and VW badge in place of flying arrow!!

Superb is brill and would have had one, but needed loadbay of estate....I'm a little disappointed because rear legroom in Octavia is a bit tight, but Superb has 100mm on the passat's wheelbase, and all of it goes to the rear passengers!! The back of a Superb is like a limo!!

Skoda will never make a Superb Estate. Correction, VW will never allow Skoda to make a Superb Estate, because it will w*e w*e all over the Passat........but if they ever did, I'd sell my g*nads to buy one!

Mind you, for a car makers budget brand, Skoda are doing a very good job of trying to beat VW all-round....

Just bought a skip ... does that qualify as an Auto Skoduria with sunroof ?

P

Ok, just not biting tonight ..... Wait 'til they lose the football woo hoo !!

P

Hi SS

Which one have you got mines a TDI 110BHP. Just done a return trip to Italy 50 mpg at +80mph which at 60p/litre meant not much cost in fuel saved £10 per fill up :)

Only one complaint about car is removing rear head rests when truning car into van for work.

S

Yes, but you get that with a lot of cars: my Astra, you have to remove the side headrests (not the centre one) to fold the seats down flat. The only car I've driven where you didn't was a Focus Estate and the rear seats weren't that comfy anyway!

Sponsored Links
Back