Sky-dish cable re-route advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how difficult it is or isn't to unplug the cable from a satellite dish to feed it through joists instead over over a roof like the cheap-ass installers do.

Is it just a matter of removing the sky dish cover and pulling connectors then plugging back in or a specific wiring mechanism

Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 157
Sponsored Links
The cables are fitted with F connectors. These have a screw thread for attaching the lead to the LNB.

The F connectors themselves simply screw on to the end of the cables. You might find it easier to take off the plugs when routing the cable, then fit the plugs back on before reconnecting. Here's a How To on fitting F plugs from the Satcure site

Thanks lucid.

I'm specifically talking about the cable into the back of the sat dish.

The entry point for the cable into the house is now concealed in the new house extension support column, so unless I want to drill through the wall again which I don't it's easier to unplug/screw from sat-dish end and feed through the new extension joists.

Only cheap nasty F connectors screw on to the cables. Decent ones are crimped on, even better ones use a compression technique. However many sky installers use the cheap nasty type. The cable F connectors screw on to the bottom of the LNB on the dish. There is probably a sliding cover over the connections which you will have to slide up. The connections should also be sealed with self amalgamating tape or a boot, but again sky cowboys that throw the cables over the rook may omit this as well.

Sponsored Links
Only cheap nasty F connectors screw on to the cables. Decent ones are crimped on, even better ones use a compression technique. However many sky installers use the cheap nasty type.
All of them, judging by every single Sky install I have seen.

Thanks both, will take a look and see what's best to do before I disconnect and cause all kinds of problems with my 4 year old not being able to watch the Disney channel for however long it takes!!!

Just outa curiosity, why can you not leave it attached to sky dish and feed cable from the dish to wherever it is going?

The "cheap and nasty" twist-on F plugs are perfectly OK provided that:
1. you choose the correct size plug for the cable and
2. apply silicone grease to prevent corrosion.
3. pull down the shower cover on the LNB (or fit boots if no cover).

Interestingly, all Sky installers now use compression type because of unreliable connections caused by the above considerations. However, for DIY use, provided that you follow the instructions carefully, twist-on plugs are perfectly adequate. No point in buying a compression tool if it's a one-off job.

In answer to the original question, it's not difficult. You can unscrew the F plug and refit it after passing the cable through the new holes. If it's a compression type, you can cut it off and fit a twist-on type. Be sure to unplug the Digibox from mains power before touching any connections!

The "cheap and nasty" twist-on F plugs are perfectly OK provided that:
1. you choose the correct size plug for the cable and
2. apply silicone grease to prevent corrosion.
3. pull down the shower cover on the LNB (or fit boots if no cover).

Interestingly, all Sky installers now use compression type because of unreliable connections caused by the above considerations. However, for DIY use, provided that you follow the instructions carefully, twist-on plugs are perfectly adequate. No point in buying a compression tool if it's a one-off job.

In answer to the original question, it's not difficult. You can unscrew the F plug and refit it after passing the cable through the new holes. If it's a compression type, you can cut it off and fit a twist-on type. Be sure to unplug the Digibox from mains power before touching any connections!

Cheers Sam Gangee, appreciated.

Will take the cover off today and have a look at the connectors.

The sky dish hasn't been touched since it was installed a few years ago so hoping it's the twist on connectors.

Ok, took the cover off and thus is what I found.

Does this look ok and normal to you guys? As nothing looks untoward to me

It looks normal for a sky cowboy, but it is certainly not OK.
1. Cheap, nasty screw on F connectors with no attempt at tidying the braid.
2. No waterproofing with either a boot or self amalgamating tape.

The cover that you have removed is supposed to slide up inside. Neither boots nor tape are needed with this type of LNB. The cover keeps direct rain off. All that's needed is silicone grease. See http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/boots.htm

The F plugs look suspiciously loose and might be the wrong size for the cable. Click on the "How to" link that Lucid provided in his #2 post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back