Sky music volume too loud!

I think the whole 'sound' thing is one massive ballsup!

We watch tv on about volume 12
Some Blu rays on volume 100 (and we still can't here it)
The programme music is always louder than the mumbling actors
Adverts are louder than the programmes
Different channels vary in volume

What ever happened to VU meters?

And programme announcements are louder than the programmes.
And idiot announcers can't resist talking over the credits and, even worse, during the organ voluntary at the end of the Nine Lessons and Carols.

It's true. I remember in the good old days the sound on all channels and in all programmes, although not exactly hi-fi, was at least very well balanced.

Despite all the advances in technology, I feel that we've lost some of the old skills.

Sponsored Links
Sky seem to have now sorted the problem with the music volume.

One thing I have noticed is differing volume levels between channels, and even programs on the same channels. Sometimes we have to turn the volume up so we can hear a program. When that's done, turn to a different channel and the volume has to be turned down. ;) ;)

One thing I have noticed is differing volume levels between channels, and even programs on the same channels. Sometimes we have to turn the volume up so we can hear a program. When that's done, turn to a different channel and the volume has to be turned down. ;) ;)

I find exactly the same. I would have thought that with the technology we have today it should be very easy to standardise volume levels throughout.

I think the answer is one of two things: either our sound technicians today have lost the old skills, or they are just too bone idle to bother.

Sponsored Links
Watched the last fifteen minutes of Goldfinger yesterday and could hear every word clearly despite the background music. Not the case with the majority of more modern films.

Don't know much about it, there're some gadgets for automatic volume control the loud TV commercials

Or you can do what I do on my sky box, either record the programme and watch later or let the programme run for about 15 minutes with the sound muted and then when you are ready to watch wind it back to the start and when the ads come on fast forward to the programme content. Magic :mrgreen:

Don't know much about it, there're some gadgets for automatic volume control the loud TV commercials

Or you can do what I do on my sky box, either record the programme and watch later or let the programme run for about 15 minutes with the sound muted and then when you are ready to watch wind it back to the start and when the ads come on fast forward to the programme content. Magic :mrgreen:

I do that too. I think more and more people are cottoning on to that option. I'm sure the commercial TV companies are racking their brains about how to overcome it. They're not allowed to include product placements, of course, but I've noticed over recent years there are more 'sponsored by' adverts which appear immediately before and after programmes and their commercial breaks!

I've only got the basic, original. steam powered, leper style sky box so can't record anything. If tv was good, I would probably upgrade.

I've only got the basic, original. steam powered, leper style sky box so can't record anything. If tv was good, I would probably upgrade.

Try ringing Sky and telling them that you are thinking of moving to BT, your price is now too high and my box is crap etc, I can get an all singing all dancing etc box from BT, which you can with their broadband. You may be quite surprised at their reaction and a free sky plus box will be on its way or at worst I think £10. It has been tried by someone I knew and it worked, it worth a phone call anyway.

Sponsored Links
Back