Sky problems - A result?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK. Long term Sky+ user with full package. ( :LOL: ). Current box is kernackered - can't record, electronic interference on many channels, no anytime tv, constant re-booting etc etc.

Rang Sky - They want £65 for Engineer to visit and if he condemned the box £199 for a new one.

B0ll0x to that. Sent them E-Mail via their site cancelling, telling them I could not afford the repairs or new box.

Just had a call from them. Wanted me to take on HD, no charge on box but increased subscription. Told her I did not have an HD TV. Offered new Sky+ box for £99 plus £35 engineer visit. Insisted that I would cancel and go over to free-view.

Finally offered "Managers Special". £35 for engineer plus new box if required at no charge and 6 months warranty???

Fed up at this stage so agreed deal and appointment arranged for tomorrow pm.

Reckon I could of got the lot free of charge if I pressed further but count my lucky stars I got that far.

The moral .... never ever pay the advertised price.

Sponsored Links
I never do either for them

I have a few sky boxes obtained from Freecycle, asky+ one too so if mine dies then I'll be OK.

It's usually the LNB though :(

LNB as in Low Noise Block.

The thingy on the end of teh wotsit sticking out of the satellite dish thing.

They often go faulty & screw the pictures up.

Sponsored Links
Sky fella came. Did a forced software update and checked the system.

He says that most of the Amstrads and loads of Thompson digiboxes have a known software problem which Sky are aware of but have not yet fixed. They have produced an interim software solution which they are gradually pushing out to customers but they are very slow.

There is a way of forcing the download - 'Power cable out press and hold back up, power cable back in. Wait 30 secs and download will start, release backup button' Your TV picture will show new software loading. So far so good for mine..... Touch wood.

Hang on, if you have had it over 12 months you could have just cancelled and retaken out your subscription......... new box/lnb/dish if required for free at current rates (if you pick up an offer card) and 12 months warranty.

Sky arent stupid.... they have squeezed out £35 from you they wouldnt have from some others.

OR even better.... you could have done the above via the quidco website:
http://www.quidco.com/sky/

and earnt £30 cashback for sky+ or £60 for sky HD

Nitro.

If you cancel Sky you are classed as Returning Customer if you rejoin within 12 months - No access to any of the new customer deals. After 12 months you are a new customer.

Sky quickly cottoned on to people doing exactly what you suggest, either direct to Sky or through a third party company. If you think about it thousands would do exactly what you suggest everytime there was a problem.

It certainly occurred to me - until I checked out the satellitte forums. :cry:

Nitro.

If you cancel Sky you are classed as Returning Customer if you rejoin within 12 months - No access to any of the new customer deals. After 12 months you are a new customer.

Sky quickly cottoned on to people doing exactly what you suggest, either direct to Sky or through a third party company. If you think about it thousands would do exactly what you suggest everytime there was a problem.

It certainly occurred to me - until I checked out the satellitte forums. :cry:

Not if you get your wife to do it like me mwahahahah :LOL: :cool:

then itl be my turn again.

Rang Sky - They want £65 for Engineer to visit and if he condemned the box £199 for a new one.

The £65 visit covers what ever is needed to leave you with a full working system when the installer leaves. CS told you a load of bull as usual.

If the installer deemed the box was at fault he would replace it with a refurbished box which automatically comes with 3 months warranty.
(if you were really really lucky he might only have a new one on the van)

If the dish was knackered or the LNB, cables etc etc its all in for £65

What make of box do you have? (Services, 4, 5)
As your installer said the ammys and tommys are quite problematic at the moment, I am constantly telling friends to do full system resets to get the box back up when a forced update won't work.

The procedure that he carried out will only be a temporary fix.

Seeing as you have paid for the visit now, at the next sign of trouble ring them up and demand a free visit as the last one did not solve your problem and insist on a replacement box.

kkynaston. Lo and behold the box would not recoord last night. Called the fella this morning and he called round as he was in the area.

He did a reboot etc etc couldn't make it work and replaced the box with a new Thompson version 4E2138. He reckons he has only just picked up a few of these and they are the best of the bunch.

So far so good although I am still waiting for the box to update with my viewing card so that I can record.

What a pain this is. As he fitted a new box does this not come with a 12 month warranty?

Was the box it came in a plain cardboard one?
Also did he call up the engineers line and give them all the system details
(or even tap it on his pda?)

If not you need to call CS and ask for a card pair.

If it really is a brand new box I don't see any reason why you won't get 12 months. But I thought sky had dropped Thomson as a manufacturer after all their crap HD boxex (of which I've had 5!)

The new one came in a white box with black writing printed on it. He connected it up to the phone line and was tapping into his PDA most of the time. He said I might not get Sky Sports for up to 24 hours as Sky had to marry up the box with the card.

When I checked I had the Sports channels almost immediately but not record............. Hang on .... just checked again and record function works!!!

Thanks Mate.

there are still a few new thomsons left in the supply chain

Its been ages since sky stopped using thomson and even if there were a few left they'd come complete with the PSU issue no doubt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back