Slabs problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a new patio laid with Indian sandstone Raj green. They are riven but apparently 22mm calibrated.

Problem is, the little kids now constantly trip up on the corners because the slabs are not level with the next slab. Eg some edges are slightly thicker than the next edge.

The guy who did it is a professional & said that’s because they’re riven and didn’t seem calibrated enough. He laid them on a bed of screed, not dot & dab.

So I ordered more batches, the same. Spoke to the company on numerous occasions and they said that’s bevause they’re riven.

Am I missing something here? I understand riven means not level, but I didn’t know it meant tiny little sides/edges exposed for little feet to trip on.

Is this right?

Sponsored Links
Trying to upload but can’t seem to from my phone?

I’ve measured one slab for example, one corner is 17mm the other is 23mm

I’m trying to figure out is this a problem with how they’ve been laid or is it the slabs? Don’t know where to turn next. Can’t keep having my little ones constantly tripping on the sides!

Bought them from prices paving/priceless paving somewhere up North

Firstly they are on a screed , professional doesn't spring to mind im afraid.

These should be laid on wet mortar dot and dab or full bed.
You then wet point so you then have a better finish and not big open trips etc.

I doubt you will get this professional back _ " well i wouldn't want him back"
Sounds like a lot of bull has been fed to you.

All the best with getting a good job

Sponsored Links
Apologies that was my terminology calling it a screed, that’s just how it looked to me, the entire area was wet bed as you call it & he laid them on that. He didn’t dot & dab them on - is that what he should have done?

I’ve had him back a few times, he said the problem is the slabs are supposed to be calibrated to 22mm but one corner is 17mm the other is 24mm for example, he said it’s difficult to get an even finish.

I obviously need to get this resolved but should I be getting a different tradesman in & reuse the slabs or should I be replacing the slabs?

What does this sound like to you? Cheers

Have indian sandstone 18-40mm uncalibrated and no one is falling over ,no raised edges , the 'grout' between fills and evens out any slight uneveness.Riven means they have been ''split" from the natural rock.

Foxhole, was it laid on a bed? And what grout - I think we have easy grout? Was in a tub ready mixed quite pricey

I’ve had him back a few times, he said the problem is the slabs are supposed to be calibrated to 22mm but one corner is 17mm the other is 24mm for example, he said it’s difficult to get an even finish.

What does this sound like to you?
7mm? I'd tell my kids to be more careful, jeez how the hell are they gonna cope in the world! :rolleyes:

Freddie, it doesn’t sound much, maybe it is more - it’s enough for me to catch the front of my toes/show on. And a nightmare with a 1 & 2 year old running. Anyway, I plan to get them relayed and from other advice above it’s not the issue that they are not perfectly calibrated, it’s seems to be the way they were laid.

But thanks anyway for your parenting advice!

Have indian sandstone 18-40mm uncalibrated and no one is falling over ,no raised edges , the 'grout' between fills and evens out any slight uneveness.Riven means they have been ''split" from the natural rock.

Sorry fox, forgot to ask what depth bed you would recommend? This was circa 30mm

He has layed them right. You don't dot and dab the Indian paving.

If you want something perfectly flat you need something manufactured or sawn, not split. Paul Daniels couldn't lay uneven slabs evenly.

He has layed them right. You don't dot and dab the Indian paving.

If you want something perfectly flat you need something manufactured or sawn, not split. Paul Daniels couldn't lay uneven slabs evenly.

Well i learned my trade from a time served Street mason and after 30 odd years of paving ill take yojr advice with a pinch of salt.?

Its quite easy to lay any riven paving with Safe edge so there not trippy.
Its all to do with how there laid and allowing enough space to point them.

Trouble these days is most pavers use the joint fill which is fine on nice uniform paving But total crap on real natural stone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back