Slate Cutting tips needed!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking for a way of cutting intricate detail into slate. I was wondering if there was a circular file type blade available for a jigsaw to enable sharpe changes in direction, i've tried various tools and techniques with simple shapes but for more detailing i need something else... Any suggestions very greatfully recieved.
Cheers Matt

Sponsored Links
You could use a tile saw, I guess...these have something like a coping saw frame, and they hold an abrafile type circular file blade. If they can go through ceramics, perhaps slate would oblige too?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thats exactly what i initially had in mind John but didn't have a clue what it was called, i remember using something similar in D.T in school, thanks for your help.... Now to see if you can get circular blades!!! :D :D

Hell pricey I was a D&T teacher for 33 years :eek: :D
Delighted that you've remembered something! :D
Good luck with your project - I'm sure we'd like to see photos of the finished article, if possible.

Hell pricey I was a D&T teacher for 33 years :eek: :D
Delighted that you've remembered something! :D
Good luck with your project - I'm sure we'd like to see photos of the finished article, if possible.

I actually went to Loughborough College of Education for 2 yrs doing the teaching certificate to become a D&T teacher. Thoroughly enjoyed my teaching practices. But things were starting to change when I was there. All of a sudden schoolkids had rights. The right to not do anything at all basically. So sadly I left at the end of my second year.
Never regretted it either. One of the lecturers (Mr Rose) made my last few weeks there a living hell simply because I was leaving.

I trained at St John's, York, and qualified in 1974 with a teaching certificate after 3 years - a B.Ed degree would have taken another year.
After all these years, I still reckon its the best job in the world, and would recommend it to anyone.
It was the politics of the job that finally did it in for me, so I left as a scale 5 curriculum head.
Selling the Big Issue now :D

Wow. York was my second choice. I was lucky enough to get into Loughborough though.
Great times being a student. The antics some of them got up to. I wouldn't have wanted some of them teaching my kids though. ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back