Slate Roof questions.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

***I have moved this thread from Painting and decorating as no one was able to advise me on anything.***

I have a DIY job that needs doing and I don't even know what it would be called to look it up. I hoping someone on here might be able to at least point me in the right direction, and answer a few specific questions.

Basically my flat is on the top floor (1st floor) and is partially in the roof. What I mean by that is the roof guttering is at waist height at the walls, then there are angled walls inside the flat, but then the steeply pitched roof continues up to form an attic. The windows thus stand proud of the roof each with there own miniature roofs. The front face above the windows have timber framing with some strange rendering that has been painted and "eaves", with rafters that hang down at the sides. The paintwork is visibly in need of redoing, as is the rendering in places (it appears to be coming off like wall paper, does anyone know what this would be?)

My plan so far, after gaining experience painting a shed door in a gloss:-

1. I have bought a 3 piece ladder and been up with a long handled brush to get mildew off with bleachy water. I realized I will need to get a further ladder with wheels that can hook over the peak in the roof in order to do this side bits (see photos.) The roof is slate, does this make it incredibly fragile? Do I need to do anything to protect it when I place a ladder on it? I am 14 stone.

2. With the mildew gone, I intend to sand the old paint to key it and I expect there to be bits of bare wood I need to treat and/or fill. Now there is a lot of wood up there and I know from one shed door this is hard to sand by hand. Can anyone recommend a good home use sander that will be appropriate for use whilst balancing on a ladder? There appear to be alot of options out there and I don't really know what type to get. I think a belt sander might be a tad tricky/dangerous to use from a ladder.

3. Prepare the bare wood with knot agent, primer, then under coat, then top coat the whole thing twice, this is the bit I have done before. Is there anything extra I should/could do at this stage to make it as good as possible?

Can anyone tell me is this the right way to tackle this job? And do you have any tips? Also, does anyone know if this is a "roof" job or a window job. I think if it was a roof job then the cost would be shared amongst all the flats rather than it being my sole problem. does anyone know what a pro would charge for this sort of thing? I guessing it might involve scaffolding.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back