Slate Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently planning tiling my bathroom (15 sqm in all) and have two options on the tiles. I can either go for

a) real slate that I would have to cut down (2-3 times per 400mm x 400mm tile) to the shapes/sizes i want, or,

b) ceramic slate effect tile that comes in the sizes I want - they are quite high spec and odd sizes though, so about £20 more per sqm....

Can anyone let me know if slate is easy to cut? Not sure whether to spend the money and save the effort...

Sponsored Links
To get a decent finish an overhead wet diamond cutter would be the best option for resizing the stone, something like a Rubi DU200 will set you back about £300 or you may be able to hire one. Trying to push them all through a DIY tilecutter will take forever and the finish will not be as good, same goes for diamond blade in an angle grinder.

You could always ask your local stonemason if he could cut them.

Jason

You can buy slate in odd sizes to make irregular patterns if that is what you are after, would save cutting anyhow.

I cut my slates with a diamond disc and depending on direction of 'grain' dictated whether it would cut cleanly or not.

I've recently tiled my new kitchen with natural slate and it looks fantastic. I cut the tiles using a black and decker workmate, 2 clamps and an angle grinder with diamond blade. First time I had used an angle grinder too and I found the job easier than expected. The blade went through the slate - which was 20mm thick - like a knife through butter. Having done this I can't see the point in buying a dedicated tile cutter as the angle grinder is versitile and can be used for many other jobs. If you try this route though a few tips...

Wear ear defenders - its VERY noisy
Wear decent safety gloves
Wear safety goggles
Wear an apron or old clothes as you'll get covered in dust!

If your planning on using the off cuts make sure the cut slate falls onto a soft surface eg some old cushions.

I had plenty of slate left and made a trivet and some coasters for the kitchen which is a nice touch.

I bought my slate in three sizes 300 x 300, 400 x 400 and 600 x 400 to create a nice pattern. This way I only had to cut the slate for the edges.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back