SLC/DPM product recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s built house, where the foundations are a concrete raft and most of the ground floor is then a raised timber floor on top of that.

The utility room that I wish to tile is not on raised timber, it has concrete. It has changed shape from the original layout, so has a small strip of floor that was in the original garage. A previous owner has glued some rubber flooring before laying carpet; the rest of the floor has some 1950s vinyl tiles stuck down with impact adhesive.

I suspect this floor (based on another section that was taken out) is some hardcore followed by a layer of concrete (it's deep - ~250mm). Neither part shows any evidence of damp (the vinyl tiles are still stuck down adequately some 60 years later), but have no idea if there is any DPM. I can see some bitumen DPC on a bit of brick wall that was knocked down (and there is the same on brick piers holding up the timber floor elsewhere), so I suspect not - given the rubber that was laid on the old garage. I'm guessing it's been OK because the FFL is above the outdoor ground level, and 'rising damp' is a myth. Frankly even the top of the concrete raft is dry as a bone.

Anyhoo, I was intending to make good some of the holes where brick walls used to be, then apply a layer of SLC to make life easier for tiling. Sound sensible / good product recommendations ?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the Ball Stopgap range of products. Might be suited to what you want?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back