Sleeper retaining wall and fence help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bit of land dug out and built a sleeper retaining wall with support beams every 2M. I will now be putting a 7ft fence on top, the posts will drop in the gap between the wall and soil. The post legs to where the fence starts will be slightly longer than the wall itself.

My question is will flooding the back of the wall with cement (and possibly rebar) be worth it, or should I just cement the posts in as normal and then back fill with soil?

20180714_230043.jpg

Sponsored Links
I presume there concrete posts?
If so either,if wooden they will be easier to change in a bit of post mix rather than a lot of solid concrete.

The posts are custom built out of metal box section. They won't last forever but as long as I get 20 years out of them I will be happy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
I guess I was trying to work out if I just secure the posts or fill the whole cavity with cement and possibly rebar.
In my head I am thinking it will make the wall stronger and the posts more secure but obviously going to be another couple of hundred pound to do that

You could use a box shutter to save concrete, allow a good 18" square and then backfill.
the problem with filling is the ground is nothing like digging a hole in virgin ground.

Lean mix would be cheap , 10:1 mix with ballast.

so its a case of making sure its ok in a good wind. .

That's what I thought. I was intending just to initially secure the posts with some post mix to keep them in place and then order a few cubic metres of wet cement and fill the rest. Even if if only filled the cavity up a foot or two I figured it would be stronger. Or as you say, just do a lean mix my self with the mixer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back