Sleepers on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some mini sleepers; 1200 long, 150 wide. I want to run a line of them (just one high) along my concrete drive as an edging.

Can I lay a bed of ballast, say 15mm deep (using 10mm stones) and just sit the timber sleeper on top of it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
why do you need to lay them on anything? i guess your drive is flat? and the sleepers big and heavy enough not to move anywhere?

Sponsored Links
a lean mix meaning very little cement. just enough to hold it together.

If the drive is quite flat and you only need a bed 20mm deep 6 sharp sand to 1 cement would do.

If you need to have deeper beds 20mm+ then put some 10mm stone in at say 4stone 3 sand 1 cement

a lean mix meaning very little cement. just enough to hold it together.

If the drive is quite flat and you only need a bed 20mm deep 6 sharp sand to 1 cement would do.

If you need to have deeper beds 20mm+ then put some 10mm stone in at say 4stone 3 sand 1 cement

They could just sit on the concrete drive surely? :eek:

1200 mini sleepers are quite light. The drive is narrow and used frequently, they will keep shifting so I would rather fix them.

oh, if you need to stop them moving laterally you would need to haunch them with concrete like a kerb or drill holes and put pins through them, re-inforcing bar works well for this.

or if you didn't want to drill holes, maybe lay them on carpet underlay? might stop them shifting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back