Sliding Wardrobe Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a recess in my bedroom which I use as a wardrobe and want to replace the curtain I use as a 'door' with sliding doors. The recess is wall to wall so I don't need a carcass or end panels, I'd like 2 doors by-passing each other, the ceiling height is 2.4m and the opening is 1000mm, what size doors do I need? & will these need to be custom made as the websites I've looked at so far the dimensions of the doors all seem to be too big. :?:

Sponsored Links
for 2 doors -

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...r_Systems/1556/Double_Top_Sliding_Door_Gear/#

they also do ones for 3 doors - it means that you have less obstruction when they're both open, but more faffing around sliding things to and fro.

the doors will be heavy so locate the ceiling hangers above your wardrobe and make sure you fix into plenty of them. you may need some battens.

surprised you found the doors that are too big, i struggled to find doors that big. can you tell me where you found them?

the door width is half (or third) of the opening plus a suitable overlap which is given in the instructions for the sliding gear, about 50mm from memory.

you could use an mdf sheet cut to size at the timber yard.
18mm mdf shouldn't warp it's top hung unless there's humidity differences either side of the door whereas a 2.4m long thin wooden door is risky.

you could always veneer it or maybe buy it ready veneered/laquered. i did one for my neighbour in 18mm mdf with 100 x 10mm mdf strips glued around the edges to make it look framed - it was how he wanted it to look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back