Slight adjustment of door keep/strike plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Here's one I don't seem to be able to figure out.

A couple of doors I have have always been a little awkward to lock because the keeps weren't lined up properly so you always have to wiggle the door a bit to actually lock them. Never really used the locks on them until now and my grandmother can't manage to lock them by herself.

Is there anything I can adjust to sort this out or is it a case of having to take the frame out and fit a new keep?

Sponsored Links
If you can work out where it is hitting the keeper you can file the opening wider. This allows the existing keeper to be used which is much easier. You can sometimes rub a pencil on the latch which will leave a mark on the keeper so you can see where it is hitting.

Its likely the door has dropped which is quite common and all depends how well it was toe and heeled on installation, to re toe and heel is a simple job but very difficult to describe, if you watched someone do it it would all seem obvious.

A work around this is to reposition the keeps lower down the frame, at a guess i should imagine its no more than half the width of the screw hole, take one keep off at a time to work out which one is fouling and then move it accordingly but if its a lot then ideally you should think about getting someone in to re toe and heel

Sponsored Links
That's brilliant thanks guys!

The guy who installed them makes out he's one of the best joiners in the area, but the hotel I work for got him in to do a load of work when we were renovating part of the hotel and quite frankly it's just shoddy. Some of the stuff he did is really good, but it's stuff like this that he hasn't done well. None of the door closers were set up properly either.

Anyway, cheers for the advice, I'll try the pencil on the latch trick first and see if I can see how much it's fouling by, otherwise I'll look at the toe and heel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back