slight gas smell - should i worry or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just fitted a new kitchen which included replacing my old freestanding gas oven with a new gas hob and electric oven. a friend of a friend - corgi reg gas fitter - connected up my new hob 2 days ago, and all seemed great until entering the kitchen this morning where i was greated by a gas smell. not overpowering but still noticable. is this normal when fitting new appliances or should i be worried and contact the fitter to check it out?

comments much appreciated. :?:

Sponsored Links
brookster, I'm afraid I don't know very much about gas.
However common sense dictates that you should open the windows, check the pilot light for your boiler if you have one and check that all other gas appliances are switched off. Leave it for 5 mins before trying to relight a pilot light that's gone out though.
If despite this you can't identify anything and are still getting a smell especially around the new hob, I'd turn the gas off at the meter and get the chap back in.
Not worth taking chances!

Sponsored Links
ok when u report this leak chances are the guy who comes out might well find the hob has not been installed to the correct standards it might even be reportable ( riddor) so if your friend of a friend isnt corgi reg and u know it will u give his name up ? or will u turn your gas off at the meter and call in a local company to check this one out

seems when you try to save a few bob it bites you back in the pocket more

cheers for the input.
the guy who fitted it is definitely reputable and CORGI registered.
He works for a good company but was just doing the usual favour out of hours.
He's coming round to check everything out tonight.

Update - when i turned off the gas at the isolation switch to the hob the smell gradually disappeared which leads me to think that there is a problem with the actual appliance and not the fitting or the supply?

:) hi, thanks a lot for the input.
the plumber came round last night and sussed it out - the hob had been moved ever so slightly after it had been fitted into the worktop losening the joint to the gas supply after the isolation valve, it had a "1mbar drop" which was the slight smell. joint sealed, gas tight, worktop fixed so no more movement - wife is happy as she can cook again after a couple of weeks upheaval.

:)

Good to know you've sorted it. If you smell gas, you should always call transco 0800 111 999 far better safe than sorry.

how do you know he is qualified to work on hobs just cos he is reg at a firm that works on gas mean nothing there are a multitude of regs to comply with when fitting any gas appliances

he is fiddling after hours and u let him = no insurance if your house blew up oh my scary

transco could have riddor this then your m8 would or could be in trouble

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back