Choosing a gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I couldn't find any posts about this issue so I wonder if there are any Corgi-savvy people out there who can advise me?

I'm putting in a new kitchen (myself, and it's all ready bought) and want to change my existing freestanding electric cooker for a built-under electric oven and (60cm, 4 ring) gas hob.
Now the hob is going to be installed by a Corgi-registered gas fitter and there's no question about that (I could sense hackles rising even as I typed the "g" in gas ;) )
He'll also be asked to service my Baxi 105e Combi boiler at the same time. This is also in the kitchen and these will be the only two gas appliances in the flat. The kitchen is a small 3m x 2m L-shape with two outside walls.

My questions (finally!) are about ventilation and gas regs and electric sockets and gas regs:

1 Do I legally need to have a cooker hood above a gas hob?
There is a potential problem here as the hood has to be mounted at least 90cm above the hob to avoid extending into a window space and the existing hole for the extractor is 110cm above worktop height and off-centre so it's going to be awkward to fit a chimney type hood anyway. The cooker can't move position sideways, it's fixed by the position of a service duct and the size of the corner cabinet.What, if anything do the regs say about this?
2 The oven switch and 2 13amp outlets (extractor and kettle) are behind the existing cooker and right behind where the hob will go (they're just above worktop height). A-bloke-down-the-pub tells me that's now illegal and they have to be moved to one side of whatever appliance is fitted. Is he right? It does seem sensible to move them anyway but kitchens ain't cheap and I'm getting a bit skint!

I don't want to buy a hob and have the gas man turn up and tell me he can't fit it because the installation would break the rules.
Now, I know it's difficult without seeing the kitchen, but I'd appreciate advice before I spend my hard-earned.

rgds

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back