Slight leak on radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

We recently had out central heating power flushed by British Gas, and shortly after noticed the valve on the attached image leaking very slightly. I think it leaks during the night when the heating is off, or maybe when I first turn it on. It must only be a few drops but it's enough to make a water stain on the floor every day.

Anyone know how to fix it? I tried turning the square nut thing with pliers but only turned very slightly because I didn't want to break anything

Thanks
Louis

Sponsored Links
Assuming the rubber washers inside the draincock are still intact, you can tighten the square nut further with a spanner and also make sure the grooved brass ring below it is also tight... just give it a nip up!

If it fails to stop, you’ll need to drain down and replace the internals of the drain cock, with those from a new one.

Also... are you sure it’s leaking and not the valve above that is leaking and using that as a drip point? To be sure, tie some loo roll around the pipe above the T to the drain cock and see if that gets wet to rule out a leak upstream!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back