Slightly loose floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, recently bought a house that has underfloor heating downstairs. It was installed when the house was renovated probably about 12 months ago.

Cue us buying the house and moving in, i'm noticing with a couple of the floor tiles there is a very very slight tip/wobble when you walk across a couple. It's not a noticeable tip or wobble and the grout looks to be in tact mostly (there are a few areas where it looks to have crumbled away) but i'm wondering what the best way to tackle these tiles would be?

Is it a case of trying to carefully take the tile up and re-seat it?
Or are there some tools/fixes that can be used whilst the tile is in-situ to reinforce it from behind?
Or would simply regrouting where the grout is missing work the best?

Sponsored Links
In time the grout will fall out and get sucked up by the vacuum cleaner. If you re-grout, the same will happen but later down the line..

Is the underfloor heating water or electric?

If there is a wobble all round the tile should pry up with a bit of jiggling, so you can have a look at the substrate and tell us what it is..

Pics of the upside down tile next to the hole it creates when lifted, please

Sponsored Links
There isn't a wobble all round the tiles in question, its a very very slight tap noise i can hear when you step on them in a specific part (and you can see where the grout has become loose). I'd rather not have to take the full tile up really if at all possible, would there be a solution where I can leave a tile in-place?

As mentioned you need to establish if there is a subsrate or similar issue going on or it's just a couple of ill fitted tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back