Slightly tilted metal gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a set of electric metal gates and one of them is slightly tilted which then requires a bit of help when opening/closing otherwise it gets stuck. I've tried to fix it by lifting it from the far end and then tightened the hinge but that made little to no difference. I think the problem is hinge is as tight as it can be but its not fully pushing back the metal. Is there anything I can insert between the gate and the hinge to tighten it further?
I've shared few photos to help you understand what I'm trying to fix.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2880.JPEG
    IMG_2880.JPEG
    195.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2881.JPEG
    IMG_2881.JPEG
    366.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2882.JPEG
    IMG_2882.JPEG
    444.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Presumably you're saying the gate on the left has dropped, how is that bracket held in the brickwork? That's not a good bracket, for this reason it provides no adjustments after it's been set up at the beginning. Can you fit a jockey wheel?

There must be adjustment where the gate is fixed to the automation arm at the bottom.

I can’t believe the gate can’t be unbolted and taken off, so it should be possible to adjust it.

Presumably you're saying the gate on the left has dropped, how is that bracket held in the brickwork? That's not a good bracket, for this reason it provides no adjustments after it's been set up at the beginning. Can you fit a jockey wheel?
Absolutely.
You can see where it's dropping into the hole and bringing the gate down with it.
I'd take it out, fill the hole and re-drill to fit the bracket in more securely.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your helpful replies.
Yes its the left gate and I've no idea how the bracket was fitted in the brickwork. Gate was made and fitted by a local company. I've contacted him numerous times as well as visited him but he's never bothered to come and look at it, let alone sorting it out.
I don't think I can fit the jockey wheel because driveway has a bit of slope so when the gate is closed there are around 4 to 6 inches of gap between gate and driveway but as it starts opening up that gap is reduced and at 2 points the gate gets stuck.
I was hoping its something I can fix myself but it looks like I'll have to find a gate fitter to sort it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back