How to raise a metal gate

Looking at the marks on the ground I would suspect that the post is no longer vertical. The weight of the gate has pulled it in the direction of the red arrrow.
Looking at the overall shape of the gate, it looks like it's been bent out of shape.
1659879271715.png

Sponsored Links
I know how you can weld those hinges, but I can't see it. the top one looks like it has a bolt with a hex head. Please post some pics of the hinges and the welds.

I think probably the gate has bent with children swinging on it.

Is the post concreted into the ground, or bolted to the wall?
The top hinge is on upside down and welded
Yes our lads used to swing on it when they were younger
The black steel post that the hinge side is attached to is concreted in about a foot down at least

The gate has dropped due to it being made with no diagonal brace.

Length of timber under the latch side and lift up.

Andy

Sponsored Links
it is not of very solid build

I think you could pull it back to shape with a long piece of threaded studding, diagonally, and tighten the nuts on the ends, or a turnbuckle and cable.

for a trial, get one of those orange nylon ratchet straps, as used with roofracks, and pull the sagging bottom corner towards the top hinge fixing on the opposite side.

it is not of very solid build

I think you could pull it back to shape with a long piece of threaded studding, diagonally, and tighten the nuts on the ends, or a turnbuckle and cable.

for a trial, get one of those orange nylon ratchet straps, as used with roofracks, and pull the sagging bottom corner towards the top hinge fixing on the opposite side.
Thanks , used a ratchet earlier and it has lifted it but also bent the side of the gate near the black post
Got 2 strong men to lift the gate to bend it up - it has moved it enough so it isnt catching the driveway

I'd try to find a way to get a car jack onto that. You mentioned the latch bending, but you would jack it with the door partly open, not closed inside the frame. Maybe some bits of wood through the holes just below the latch and then jack onto that.

I'd try to find a way to get a car jack onto that. You mentioned the latch bending, but you would jack it with the door partly open, not closed inside the frame. Maybe some bits of wood through the holes just below the latch and then jack onto that.
Thanks, the gap isnt big enough to get a car jack under whatever position we open the gate to
The latch isnt bent
We have bent the side of the gate near the hinges using a ratchet and strap to lift it earlier
Got 2 strapping men on to it they bent it up enough so it isnt catching on the drive now

You can always get a car Jack under something
either a strap looped under the gate bottom and fixed to the jack, or a strap running under the gate, fixed to an imovable object at each end, then the jack acts on the taught strap (strap needs to be tow rope type)

or shove a lever under the gate and touch the ground on one end.
Jack up the other end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back