Slimmer radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suffer from fatigue and I need natural light to function anywhere near normal. I try to sit as close to the window as possible but we have a normal size radiator that takes up a fair bit of room. It's 1.1 Meter wide and finishes 11 cm from the wall.

What could I do about this? We live in rented accommodation so I can't go too mad. Could I get one that's much slimmer for not a huge expense?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
Even if you removed the rad completely would it really make a difference sitting 11cm's closer to the window??? This sounds like a slightly bizarre question to me. The weather is getting warmer now so I suggest sitting outside ;)

Exactly why do you want to sit so close to the window but don't want to go outside?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this a wind up but benefit of doubt for a few words. The problem is, getting a slimmer rad is not going to save 11cm, as no radiator has no thickness.

From my (limited) knowledge a single convection rad (without casing) is going to be about 80mm mark and that is probably about as good as it gets without going to something designer - even then, I suspect you won't save much more.

So the question is would 30mm rather than 110mm make any difference?

If it would isolate and drain system and change rad by unscrewing at the valves or pay a plumber to do it. Don't forget to re-charge with inhibitor.

Other option is to re-site radiator somewhere else in room but underneath windows is generally considered a good site for maintaining the warmth across the entire room. Will cost more to and possible floor issues with holes left behind and need to lift coverings.

Before any of that - playing with plumbing in a rented place will of course require permission from Landlord.

I suffer from fatigue and I need natural light to function anywhere near normal. I try to sit as close to the window as possible but we have a normal size radiator that takes up a fair bit of room. It's 1.1 Meter wide and finishes 11 cm from the wall.

What could I do about this? We live in rented accommodation so I can't go too mad. Could I get one that's much slimmer for not a huge expense?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex

Sorry about your medical condition Alex, but with millions of children in the world starving, you'll forgive me if I don't give a flying f.ck about your radiator.

Or a conservatory!

Seriously though OP, you'll have a lower heat output with a slimmer radiator, and get cold in the winter.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex

Sorry about your medical condition Alex, but with millions of children in the world starving, you'll forgive me if I don't give a flying f.ck about your radiator.

Thats interesting. I'm actually conducting academic research into people who proclaim caring of others. Would you be able to prove you care/assist starving children?

Perhaps some research into why you think airing 1½ inches closer to the window will make you feel better?

And people wonder why this country is in such a state. :rolleyes:

There are some extremely ignorant people here. There is a world of difference to being directly in sunlight and not being. If you suffer from the same condition then please express an opinion until then you are making guess from your own experience which clearly doesn't relate to my experience.

Even if the extra light gives me 10 minutes more productivity a day, that would really help me out.

The premise of this thread is nonsense. It clearly is. People are not solar powered. I think it's a wind up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back