Slippery Metal Steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are some steps outside the front of my basement flat, leading up to street level. See attached photo. They get quite slippery when the weather is rainy. I suspect it's just that they're quite old and perhaps the raised zig zag type profile (don't know what its proper name is) is a bit worn & smooth.

Is there something I can do to improve the grip on these?

I don't want to replace the steps altogether because they're rock solid apart from this one problem.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG-0213.JPG
    IMG-0213.JPG
    529.3 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
It's called checkerplate. You should be able to get an anti slip paint for them.

I checked out some anti slip paints online and they seem to need several days to fully harden. How would that work on these external steps? If I can’t climb the steps for a few days I’ll be a prisoner in my own home! Is there some way to get around it (like only painting part of each step the first time and then painting the rest later)?

Sponsored Links
I checked out some anti slip paints online and they seem to need several days to fully harden. How would that work on these external steps? If I can’t climb the steps for a few days I’ll be a prisoner in my own home! Is there some way to get around it (like only painting part of each step the first time and then painting the rest later)?

Well if you're sprightly enough could you make do with painting ever other step, then painting the others after it's dried fully.

Investigate the grip paint they use on ship's decks, in a boat chandeliers. It uses sand mixed in with the paint, to provide the grip.

also, wait until summer if you can?
clean the steps well first. Take advice on aluminium cleaner and primer from the paint company

I think you can get self adhesive material that is used on skateboards. That may work as a temporary solution until the weather improves enough for painting

Bear in mind its probably aluminium, in which case you will need an etch primer first.

I suspect it's just that they're quite old and perhaps the raised zig zag type profile (don't know what its proper name is) is a bit worn & smooth.
Metal.

Probably just as slippery the day it was installed

I think you can get self adhesive material that is used on skateboards. That may work as a temporary solution until the weather improves enough for painting
Temporary: Get a roll of chicken wire and wind lengths around each tread?

Permanent: Fix a strip of metal to the front of each tread to create a physical stop and put brick slips in.

Its only (or was only?) available in aluminium,
Aluminium is metal.

I was making a point, not asking what metal it is.

It is metal - it will be slippery when wet and probably always was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back