Slippery Metal Steps

Sponsored Links
The steps in the photo look like galvanised steel.

I wouldn't be keen on painting it, you will then be doing that for ever more, once the non slip surface wears off it could be more slippy than it is now.

First thing is give the steps a good clean, either pressure wash or scrub, get rid of the surface slime. A tiny sprinkling of sharp sand will give some temporary grip.

Its only (or was only?) available in aluminium, it stopped being made in steel years ago, I knew someone who managed to find some old steel stock for originality to restore an old 50's car transporter.
I just googled 'steel chequer plate', got millions of results.

Sponsored Links
It would be a right faff to fit, but heavy gauge expanded metal mesh gives a really good grip. Downside is future cleaning would have to be done with a hose, you can't really brush it clean.

The steps in the photo look like galvanised steel.
Yup. If you click the button to open the photo in a new window and zoom in you can see thats exactly what they are.

A tiny sprinkling of sharp sand will give some temporary grip.

The chequers pattern is raised above the general surface, anything sprinkled on the surface will immediately fall away from the chequers, to the flat between the pattern.

It would be difficult to get the hang of the process, but you could bend some expanded metal at various 90° dimensions so that it clips over the rear of the step but hangs over the front.

Easy to lift off for annual cleaning .
Hooked over the back, any down thrust resists slipping and you'd need to lift it at an angle to remove it.
Stainless or alloy expanded would work.
It can be very stiff stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back