sloping floor amtico superflex 700 over stepped ply

Sponsored Links
francspencer ; I've read your other thread but can't really see what it is exactly your asking for help about? :confused:

I just wanted to check if its ok to add more ply ontop of the 1st layer in a stepped formation to reduce the amount of fball superflex being used.
I have loads of 6mm ply and only one bag of the self levelling compound..

Was the reason for using the SLC, to level out the floor? If the floor is out of level it’s best to remove the floor completely, level it up by packing out the joist or levelling the joists themselves & then lay a new floor, usually 18-25mm WBP ply (not standard ply). A 30mm fall in 1500mm is excessive, is there a reason?

A 6mm ply over board is nowhere thick enough either; 15mm is the BS & most tile adhesive manufacturers recommended minimum but generally 12mm is sufficient in light load/use areas such as a bath/shower room. Just screwing into the top of the original floor boards is not ideal either; when over boarding, I always fix through into the joists below. You’re going to have a mish mash sandwich of 3 different substrates for a tile base & adding additional bits of 6mm ply at the low end to pack out the SLC is not something I would do or recommend either. SLC’s are intended to take up small discrepancies & provide a flat, level surface (3-10mm in this case) but I doubt they will add much to the floors overall rigidity. From a tiling viewpoint, I'm sorry to say it’s not the way I would do it & I’m in doubt as to whether it will provide a suitably flat or rigid tile base. If your tiled floor is to last, you need a rigid floor base, if it flexes outside the adhesive/grout tolerance range, it will fail.

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard,

Thanks for getting back to me.
Firstly the house is over 100 years old and I am not prepared to pull out the original wooden floorboards... as one day, one year, one century.. somebody may want the original floorboards on display in the bathroom.

The slope is looking more like 20mm after carefully measuring. Fball have advised to lay 10mm ontop of 10mm or use thicker ply in the area in question.

The sloping area is only in a 1200 x 600 patch of the floor.
Thanks, Franc

why not use a slc with added aggerate for the deeper areas,to bring level with rest off floor, then slc over the whole lot....

as for you saying wanting to save the orginal floorboards for years to come...well once that slc is ontop off them...well thats them @@@@@d anyway mate!!!

as for you saying wanting to save the orginal floorboards for years to come...well once that slc is ontop off them...well thats them @@@@@d anyway mate!!!
The 6mm ply he’s over boarded them with; part of which is underneath the 6mm ply packer bits at one end ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back