Slotted Fence post for close board fencing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to complications of varrious ground levels and required change in height of fence, I have had a suggestion made that I use a slotted concrete fence post with a 2x2 batton bolted into the slot (there are holes in these posts).

I can then attach the various arris rails to this batton using nails and can set the heights as I want across varying post heights.

My question is, will a 2x2 batton be strong enough to hold the arris rails, and will the 1 inch width be enough to secure the rail ends to?

I know the concrete post will manage, but I am worried the batton would break within the concrete post.

Sponsored Links
I haven't yet got any of the items as I don't want to purchase anything before I know it'll work.

No point buying concrete posts if I can't build the end product.

Sponsored Links
I was concerned that fence post is usually 4x4 for a large fence, and therefore the 2x2 batton would be put under too much strain and would break free from the concrete post...

But from what you have said, you believe this will be sufficient.

It may well be time for me to do some shopping.

Thank you for the replies.

Further to the 2x2 batton in the slotted concrete post

It has been suggested that I could use a multi hole concrete post, and bolt the rails through the hole, by using a halving joint,

this way I would have a strong fence, that would only require minor changes to the height of the posts of +-4 inches so that the rails would stay horizontal, including play in the bolt hole.

Any thoughts?

Yes, those but at 90 degrees to the run of the fence.

I'll try and sketch something out later and add it here so you can see what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back