Slow Broadband - 10m long cable!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just moved my sky broadband router upstairs which means the telephone cable is now over 10m from my main entry telephone point to the router next to my comp. I have the highest speed broadband package.

The broadband seems to be quite a bit slower than it was when it was located nearer the incoming point. How can I get a quicker speed, is it because of the cable lenght. I had thought of running a CAT5 cable upstairs instead of the phone line. Would this help? I havent got a wireless facitlity in my CPU and would prefer it all to be hard wired.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
But CAT5 cable is overkill. Good quality CW1308 (standard internal telephone cable) should work perfectly well.

But CAT5 cable is overkill. Good quality CW1308 (standard internal telephone cable) should work perfectly well.

But surely he means keeping the router next to the phone socket and Networking the PC with the CAT5e cable, rather than extending the telephone connection, in which case CW1308, would be very much underkill.

In fact, we dont even bother with CW1308 anymore when running new lines on customer premises, CAT5e cost difference in insignificant and can be used for gig networking as well.

Sponsored Links
You are probably about 2 miles from the telephone exchange and are connected to it via some 10 year old copper twin wire. Why would another 10 meters make all that much difference especially as the extra that you have just added is probably brand new cable?

Have you added the 10m cable or is it an existing connected extension?

There should be no difference between the two points assuming everything is connected correctly. An extra 10m on the length back the exchange will do nothing.

Paul_C - You are confused with the suggestion. The cat5e would be from the LAN port of the router to the PC - A network connection, not an ADSL connection.

You are probably about 2 miles from the telephone exchange and are connected to it via some 10 year old copper twin wire. Why would another 10 meters make all that much difference especially as the extra that you have just added is probably brand new cable?

True, but the cable is subjected to a lot more EMI when it enters the modern household.

It is commonly known that the system works better if the router is plugged directly into the main socket.

Do that and connect to it via a longer ethernet cable for best connection speeds.

Use an extension & be prepared for poor speeds & problems.

I know when I swapped a cheap thin flat non-twisted RJ11 cable carrying an ADSL signal for some cat5 at a friends house we added a megabit to the sync speed and the run wasn't all that long (didn't measure it but it was probablly between about 5 and 10 meters)

In other words even a relatively short section of really sh1tty cable can have a surprisingly large impact.

I was referring to the router to pc connection side of things.

But surely he means keeping the router next to the phone socket and Networking the PC with the CAT5e cable, rather than extending the telephone connection

Paul_C - You are confused with the suggestion. The cat5e would be from the LAN port of the router to the PC - A network connection, not an ADSL connection.

Ah O.K., just re-read the original post and I see what you're getting at. He says he's moved the router upstairs, but I was taking "I had thought of running a CAT5 cable upstairs instead of the phone line" to mean keeping the router upstairs and just replacing whatever extension is in use at the moment with CAT5 for the DSL connection.

Obviously if the intent is to move the router back to the master jack and extend the LAN connection upstairs, then CAT5 would be the way to go.

Great, thanks for the replies. I think I shall keep the router downstairs adjacent the incoming socket and extend from that point with a CAT5 type cable.

Thanks

And if you have a NTE5 socket with nothing wired into the extension internals,. you will get a better ADSL by using the test socket (remove the front plate).

I don't know what you're using for DSL filters at the moment, but if you're going to locate the router by the NTE5, I would throw away any multiple microfilters you have around the house at the extensions and install a single filter at the NTE. You can buy a filter which is a plug-in replacement for the lower panel of the NTE5, like this:

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

You then just run extension voice wiring from the terminals on the back of the filter, with no need for microfilters at each extension jack.

There are unfiltered terminals on the unit as well, in case you ever wanted to run an extension to provide a DSL connection elsewhere.

I've got one of those.

So much easier than having all them little filter boxes all over the place :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back