Slow Draining Toliet - AAV or Blockage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The en-suite toilet flushed and backed up to the rim before draining slowly. The basin drains quite freely when filled and the plug rmoved. The basin outlet flows into the stck just below the toilet

This stack connects to kitchen and utility room on the ground floor. The guestcloaks and main bathroom are at the opposite side of the house ona separate stack. No issues with these toilets

The stack has an AAV in the loft which I have yet to check. Could it be an AAV problem or would a partial blockage be more likely?

Opinions greatly received

Sponsored Links
Blockage. AAV wont cause that issue.
As I suspected. I will have to get someone out to have a look.

Would the blockage be more likely below the first floor level do you think to cause this issue? The pipe from the pan to the stack is about 0.5m or so

Would it be worth trying a drain unblocking liquid such as ZEP and would this be better in the basin drain or the toilet?

Last edited:
If you have a mop, i mean a proper mop, the ones that look like a white wig on a stick or a similar cloth strand type mop then use it on the toilet by slowly pushing it to the bottom and then basically plunging it several times with short strokes and then a quick pull back out of the pan and quite often it will clear the blockage. May take a couple of goes and don't go hell for leather with it as you can pop a fitting but you will feel the suction happening and well worth a go before you spend too much on getting a firm in.

Sponsored Links
If you have a mop, i mean a proper mop, the ones that look like a white wig on a stick or a similar cloth strand type mop then use it on the toilet by slowly pushing it to the bottom and then basically plunging it several times with short strokes and then a quick pull back out of the pan and quite often it will clear the blockage. May take a couple of goes and don't go hell for leather with it as you can pop a fitting but you will feel the suction happening and well worth a go before you spend too much on getting a firm in.
I don't have one but could get one cheapish I think. I may have cover on the home insurance so need to check but anything that sorts it without having to wait for someone to arrive would be better. Job for later I think

@HERTS P&D

I have just two inspection covers both at the front. Popped the covers and both are clear and nice and clean! House is from 2000 so drains are all plastic.

Water flows from nextdoor across my frontage towards the neighbour the other side - some one must have had the washine machine on as water flowed across without problem.

Manhole to the left picks up bathroom and downstairs loo on separate inlets. Manhole on the right picks up the kitchen on one inlet and the en-suite and utility room on the other as far as I can see - tested by opening taps. Utility waste plumbs into the stack from the en-suite.

I ran water in the basin in the en-suite and it runs out to the drain seemingly OK but this is not a particularly high pressure supply. I could hear the water from the basin hitting what I would guess is the bottom of the soil stack and into the bend? Possibly some gurgling??

Bit of an update - thought I would clean the loo ahead of getting someone in and using the loo brush seems to have cleared the blockage! Flushed OK. I will get SWMBO to flush when I have the inspection cover off to see how ift flows.

Is it worth putting chemicals down to see if it helps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back