Slow Draining Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a bit of advice. This morning our upstairs toilet started draining very slow. I tried plunger it to no avail. The toilet has a AAV stack to the rear and also an inspection cap. if I open this cap the toilet flows ok, and there is no blockage visible. There is also a inspection cap at the point where the pipe goes underground, again taking off this cap the toilet flows fine. however once the caps are back on the toilet backs up again. The toilet gargles and so does the upstairs sink when the toilet is trying to drain. Any help to solve this problem would be great

Sponsored Links
AAV, as you probably know, stands for air admittance valve is not doing what it's supposed to do - admit air.

Are any other outlets (bath, basin, shower) gurgling?

Hi mate,

Thanks for your input.

No, no other outlets are gargling.

The main bathroom and ensuite are on a different drainage leg and are vented by a traditional open vent sack thing, it then meets the upstairs bathroom drainage in a chamber in the garden.

If changing the AAV makes no difference then I would suspect that you have a partial blockage - the resulting positive air pressure is released when you remove the AAV/access cap hence the waste flowing again.

Sponsored Links
You have to have another vent stack that is blocked, f you have not got one than an AAAV should never have been fitted,

Thanks for your help guys. Had a partial blockage further down the line, had to uncover a buried rodding eye :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back