Slow drip from concealed shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got a very slow drip from my shower unit when switch off.

I've followed videos and instructions to remove the cartridge and give it a good de-scale and re-lubricate the O rings (it all looked in good order) but it hasnt fixed the issue.

Apart from replacing the cartridge (which is £100+ so keen to avoid), what other steps could I try?

Is there a cartridge behind the on/off tap? Tried to take that off to clean but its not budging.

Advice appreciated, keen to avoid a costly bill of replacing shower unit.

Sponsored Links
5GgDMrG

https://www.linkpicture.com/q/20210101_141109.jpg

Yeh sorry image attached.

Can't figure out the model of the shower unit but belive the cartridge is as follows:

https://www.showerdoc.com/bristan-thermostatic-cartridge-cr-shxd-e10009

Probably need to replace the whole thing. Somebody may be familiar with your valve and can offer guidance on how to strip / replace parts. Hopefully they can chip in.
Good luck.

Sponsored Links
When you say whole thing do you mean whole cartridge?

Could the issue be with the controller above which is the water on / off?

Sure, see here. The top is the on off nozzel and bottom is the temperature control. Couldn't get top valve off to inspect.

20210101_185421.jpg

That's a better pic! Yes that can be removed ,stripped and may just need new washers/seals. Should just unscrew ,large length spanner on the hexagonal nut for leverage. What's below the white oval thing?

Ok great thanks, I'll have another crack at that. Is it OK to just switch off the water using the isolator screws and leave the mains on to remove that valve?

That's a better pic! Yes that can be removed ,stripped and may just need new washers/seals. Should just unscrew ,large length spanner on the hexagonal nut for leverage. What's below the white oval thing?
The white oval thing is the temperature limiter. You have to press button to get passed it / higher temp

Isolating supplies before the valve would be preferable ,but I am fairly sure the valves isolators would be upstream of the valve anyway.
What is that white oval at the front ?
Of the top valve not the temp control ?

Isolating supplies before the valve would be preferable ,but I am fairly sure the valves isolators would be upstream of the valve anyway.
What is that white oval at the front ?
Of the top valve not the temp control ?
Ah that's just the surround which wasn't removed. See below with it off

20210101_191946.jpg

I can't see what would be keeping the oval brass body inside that outer grey metal .it certainly can't unscrew from it using the hexagonal nut . Is there a split line below the hexagonal nut ,I.e. is it a seperate brass component to the outer brass ? Any grub screws around the outer grey metal that may be retaining the main brass body within the grey bit ?

Hmm interesting.

No grub screw or anything like that. The only split line / separate component is just behind that retaining clip at the front to allow the valve to turn. There is some thread just behind the hexagonal nut. No part of the shower uses it. Maybe a special connector to attach / pull out?

20210101_193637.jpg

Well the spring clip only needs removing when you have access to the other end of the valve. No idea what the threaded bit below the nut is for ,if nothing screws onto it.
I think it's a case of learning as you go mate !! Trying the hex nut first as it's the only visible part that would seem to have any function,in disassembly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back