Slow drip in water tank ballcock valve

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello,

There is a slow drip in the attick water tank. To explain in detail, after use, e.g. flushing the toilet the tank refills quickly. Then the rate slows to a trickle and then an ever slowing drip (maybe 1 drip every 10 - 20 seconds). The thing is this drip could last all night, 12+ hours without any water being used in the house. It doesnt seem to ever shut off. If I depress the ballcock to add extra water into the tank it will then shut off.

The tank is the black plastic kind.

Do I need to change the ballcock and valve?

Regards,
Michael

Sponsored Links
If the noise is driving you mad - tie a piece of string for the water to run down - temporary job but it won't drip

2 great suggestions. Thanks. I wouldnt be half as bothered if it wasnt for the noise.
Ill tie the string and change the valve/ballcock.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you don't like tinkering, just fit a new valve. The Pegler Prestex Part 2 is probably the best you can get.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-2/27627
You can buy an inferior valve if you feel you need more practice changing and repairing them. Read both pages of reviews.

If you do like tinkering, fit a new valve, then take the old one apart on the kitchen table at your leisure, clean it up, fit a new cone and washer, and put it next to the tank, in a plastic bag, ready to swap back in 10 or 20 years when it needs doing again.

I replaced the washer. Verdict is out on wether the drip has stopped yet. I havent had time to check a few hours after use.

However now when the water flows through the valve it vibrates/shudders really loud. What is wrong?

From the replies it seemed like the easier option was a washer change.

Now I will change the valve and put a metal plate on the outside of the plastic tank (which is currently missing).

Is that a job I can do easily? Is the metal plate easy to install?

Always easier to just replace the complete valve. I use Fluidmaster Pro75B valves
Good recommendation.

I get fed up with noisy float valves;

Recently tried this one; but just a bit too noisy, creaky, groany and takes too long to turn off completely,....but that’s just how they are.

Also this one; ditto.

So I tried this one;.....very quiet, quick fill and shuts off instantly with barely a whisper,...... “Silent Night”....excellent.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the ‘traditional’ float valves but if you want a fill that’s as quiet and quick as possible the ‘Fluidmaster’ is very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back