slow filling cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know there are a lot of threads for this, but none seem to answer my question.

Anyhow, just moved into a place and the cistern is very slow filling (10-15 mins). However, I have notice that where the water comes in on the right of the picture (up a hole, through a small horizontal plastic pipe that ends in a long cylinder of plastic that feeds the water to the bottom of the cistern, I assume to stop noisy dripping), if I block the hole with my finger for a second (causing pressure to build up) and then release, then the flow of water out of the hole pretty much doubles. However, once the cistern is full and the valve cuts off, when I then flush the toilet the flow of water into the cistern returns to a trickle.

As always, any help would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The pin that the float arm hits when it rises don't look like it's fully releasing when the arm drops.
Try freeing the pin they can seize with limescale etc.

Try changing the washer. They go "off"
turn water off
undo big white nut while holding the other part
Note which way round the washer is
check hole in funnel shaped part is clear
You need one like this
View media item 45206

Back again and finally getting around to fixing the problem, thanks for the responses but I have a couple more questions.

I have taken it apart and the plastic pin isn't catching, it moves freely. What appears to happen is that once the toilet is flushed, the pin doesn't pop fully out as (I assume) the water pressure from the other side isn't pushing against the washer enough to push then push the pin out.

The water pressure is fine (if I help pull the pin with some pliers, it starts flowing out) so am I correct in assuming the washer has "gone" (I assume it would have had more give and movement in it years ago)?

I have tried looking for a new washer but can't find one (the one I have looks exactly like the one below, the one I found on screwfix has a raised bit at the center so I assume won't work?)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-multipurpose-washer-black-pack-of-3/44070

I have thought about replacing the whole valve, however I am confused by all the different ones out there. Am I correct in saying it is a float valve and not a ball valve?

Also, do you have different float valves for cisterns and say tanks, or do they all do the same job?

Sorry for all the questions, but a bit confused by all the options out there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forget putting a Fluidmaster washer in a Part 3 float valve (won't fit) and fit a complete Fluidmaster fill valve in the cistern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back