Plumbers Mait not sealing the hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I installed a new cistern on my toilet over the weekend. All seems to be well apart from one thing.

The new cistern came with an internal overflow, but the cistern has a hole in the bottom, opposite the inlet, where the external overflow pipe would have gone. That hole is filled with a plastic bung but when I fitted the cistern and filled it with water that hole dripped slightly.

The guy who sold me the cistern told me that was perfectly normal and suggested I just bung up the hole with Plumbers Mait.

I started by putting a layer of PM over the outside of the plastic bung, covering the whole bung, but the water just dripped through the PM. I then tried sealing the edges of the plastic bung inside the cistern (under the water) but that seemed only the increase the speed of the dripping!
Finally I put another layer of PM on the outside of the cistern so that the plastic bung and the first layer of PM are completely encased in another layer of PM, but still water is dripping through the PM.

What am I doing wrong? How can I stop it dripping?!

Sponsored Links
the guy who told you its normal is a pilock then its not normal.
you should have a black rubber seal on the hole stopper.
they should seal without any problems.
if not try a smear of clear silicone around the seal but not plumbers mait.
but you shouldn't need anything if you have the rubber washer

Thanks for the quick replies.

That blanking off plug looks like the one in the hole, but I don't think it had the black washer on it. I can't tell now because it's covered in Plumbers Mait!

So what's the best way to get all this Plumbers Mait off without smashing my cistern?!

Sponsored Links
washing-up liquid and the wife's toothbrush (while she's out)

Will washing-up liquid really do it? This stuff says it sets as hard as metal and it feels pretty solid...

I thought it was still new and soft?

If its the side inlet then water should not reach that point, adjust the float to lower the water level.

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back