WC Cistern overflow - red plastic disc in arm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The overflow in the toilet cistern is constantly dripping to the outside. The mechanism within the cistern is plastic. I have replaced the rubber diaphragm and 'O' ring within the plastic cylinder, adjusted the plastic stop, but after a while the water seeps in and eventually enters the vertical overflow pipe. The plastic arm linking the float to the cylinder has six round holes, each the size of a five pence piece, roughly. In the fourth hole from the float, is a red plastic disc, held in place by a plastic split pin. Can someone please tell me what this does and can it be moved to another hole? Is this likely to be the problem? Any further advice would be very much appreciated. :(

Sponsored Links
The red plastic disc is the low pressure nozzle that would be installed in the ballvalve if the water supply is fed from the loft tank. The white nozzle in the ballvalve is for mains water use. Have you changed the white nozzle and also the fibre washer that is behind it? This may solve your problem.

It's a pressure adaptor for the float valve inlet. Just kept there for convenience.

Your best bet is to get a complete new float valve, it won't break the bank!

The red plastic disc is the low pressure nozzle that would be installed in the ballvalve if the water supply is fed from the loft tank. The white nozzle in the ballvalve is for mains water use. Have you changed the white nozzle and also the fibre washer that is behind it? This may solve your problem.

Many thanks. That explains what the red disc is for. No, I haven't changed the white nozzle or fibre washer behind it. Didn't know one was there, but if I can get the replacement parts, I will do. Failing that, I'll replace the whole fitting. It won't cost the earth.

Sponsored Links
It's a pressure adaptor for the float valve inlet. Just kept there for convenience.

Your best bet is to get a complete new float valve, it won't break the bank!

Many thanks Breesey. Please see my reply to "giblets" above. I was already coming round to your point of view. :)

Breesey and giblets,

Yesterday I replaced the whole valve assembly with an Opella Torbeck. QED and a lot quieter. Job sorted! I am a happy bunny! Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back