Slow leak in airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've discovered a leaking pipe connection in my airing cupboard, just below the pump:

leak.jpg

Does this look like a fairly straightforward connection? Could I drain the system and tighten it up with a bit of PTFE tape? I've got virtually no experience but willing to give it go. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The staining on the pump suggest you have/have had a leave from the upper pump valve too. If it were me I'd be replacing both pump valves for new.

The staining on the pump suggest you have/have had a leave from the upper pump valve too. If it were me I'd be replacing both pump valves for new.

Thanks for that. Not too difficult a job I take it? Any special tools required?

Sponsored Links
I'd agree, that's looks more likely to be a leak from above that's gathered there rather than that connection itself. Kitchen roll, dry around that connection and see where it's really coming from. Possibly the upper valve connection to the pump.

I'd agree, that's looks more likely to be a leak from above that's gathered there rather than that connection itself. Kitchen roll, dry around that connection and see where it's really coming from.

I did try drying it and it appears pretty quickly again from the same spot, can't see it running down from elsewhere. I certainly take the point about the staining though. Should replace both I guess.

I've ordered my new valves but I've had a bit of a heart sink. Looking at this pic below, has the upper valve been completely soldered on? Or will the valve actually unscrew from the nut that has been soldered to pipe? I don't want to drain the system down only to find that it's not going to move for me and I need to call a plumber after all.

If you have eagle eyes you will notice a discarded nut at the bottom of the picture which I'm guessing was left there by the previous fitter. This suggests to me that the nut can be taken off the new valve and then the valve can be screwed into that soldered fitting. I'm clinging on to this hope...

leak_2.jpg

Thanks again for the replies.

Those type of valves don't leak very often. I don't think that the problem is with the valve, but is where the valve connects to the plumbing. This is just the sort of job that would be better done by an experienced person.

You've got a problem on your hands due to a previous botched job. As halfway suggests, time to call in a professional because you will probably need a section of pipe replacing as well.

Okay, thanks for your thoughts, I'll get someone in. Shame, I was quite looking forward to tackling my first bit of DIY plumbing but good sense must prevail. And at least I'll have a couple of replacement valves to hand.

I'll post back with the outcome in case it's useful to anyone in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back