1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow ooze down thread of flush assembly

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by IngeJones, 25 Aug 2011.

1. IngeJones

IngeJones

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My new toilet has been fitted for a few days, and I have a leak. It is an Ideal Standard toilet complete with Ideal standard concealed cistern (pushbutton flush) and cabinet.

Although I checked the flush assembly backnut was as tight as it would go - it was factory assembled anyway, but they recommended you check that before installing - over the days a slow ooze coming from between the backnut and the screwthread of the downpipe has manged to start lifting the shiny laminate of the cabinet - grrrr!!

Rather than drain the whole thing down, or take it all to bits again, is there a way to seal this slow leak in spite of the fact I can't actually dry it thoroughly? Some paste that could be pressed into the crack and not be prevented from adhering by the fact the area is not perfectly dry before applying?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately any surface treatments are unlikely to be a success - the only real way is to drain the cistern, dry the internals thoroughly and reassemble - possibly using a new washer and silicone.
    John :)

4. IngeJones

IngeJones

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sadly, you're probably right. But I'm still eager to hear from anyone who can say "Oh I sprayed mine with MiracleSprayX and it stopped the leak!", so I'll hold off from doing anything other than changing the towel under it for a couple of days in the hopes...

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local