Slow overflow - possibly from hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have an immersion cylinder in the loft room to supply a shower, bath and wash basin only. There is also a WC and cold taps of course.

1) For many months there has been a slow trickle of water out of an overflow pipe onto the flat roof below. It feels warm, but not obviously hot, and I'm not sure which part of the system this overflow come from.

2) I recently replaced a (wrongly specified) shower pump with a proper negative head one, which now activates as it should, except it also kicks in for a second or so every half hour, as if there is a leak in the system.

3) The feeder cistern above keeps filling (float valve never quite closes), but it does not reach the overflow.

4) the vent pipe from the cylinder up to the cistern is hot to touch. IS this

I thought 1) and 2) were unrelated but now I think the shower pump is topping up some leak or overflow, but I dont know where from. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Change the ball cock that doesn't fully close . is your shower pump cold supply from loft tank ,or mains pressure ?

Sponsored Links
He already said it never reaches the overflow.
I know Jeff ,he also said it does'nt QUITE close . and the overflow is a slight trickle onto the flat roof ,but he ain't sure what the overflow connects to. None of that is indicative of a leak.

Do you also have a header tank for your central heating or is it a pressurised system?
Is it the header tank that is overflowing?

Hi all, to clarify:

It's a header tank, cold supply - what I refer to as the feeder cistern I guess - black plastic just above the cylinder. But no, the water level here doesn't reach the overflow, although the ball valve keeps flowing (slowly).
I've assumed if it's a leak it would be flowing through the ceiling, not the overflow pipe...!

I will change the ball valve and lower the level slightly, to see if that helps. I read somewhere that if it's set too high it overfills the cylinder (though I dont understand why).

Is your cylinder perhaps a fortic, ie does it have a cold tank built in to the top of the cylinder?
Is this what is overflowing?

No, I'm pretty sure it's a simple copper cylinder inside some hard foam insulation. The set up is a bit like this image, with a Salamander negative head pump just beneath the cylinder. I can post a photo if it might help.

If not, you have a leak. Get off the Internet and find it!
He also has an overflow going. Probably not connected to shower pump kicking in but pipe with water coming out, must have water going in. Can you not find where from?
Do you have 2 cold tanks? 1 small one for heating, one larger one for cold supply (including supply to cylinder)?

Oh and any photo may not always help but will rarely do harm (although I think Jeff did post one once that I am trying to unsee)

Do you also have a header tank for your central heating or is it a pressurised system?
Is it the header tank that is overflowing?
A photo may or may not help but it will certainly do no harm although Jeff did once post one that I am still trying to unsee.

No small clod tank Daveydub - in fact no heating involved here, it's just 1 to supply the loft bathroom (WC, pluc h&c to shower, bath & washbasin).

Water is running out of your overflow therefore water is running IN to your overflow. Can you follow the pipe and see what is connected to it? WC overflow perhaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back