Slow running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest why the hot water tap in the bathroom hand basin is very slow running, no problem with flow from any other hot water tap in the house

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have a tank and cylinder set up>>>

What is the height between the bottom of the tank that supplies your hot water cylinder and your tap outlet?
What is the horizontal distance between the hot tap and the tank?
What is the size of the pipe going into the hot water tap?

You could look at this and this if you want to get all mathematical about it.

Or just move your tank up higher for more water flow.
I did a job like this just last week increasing the head from 1 metre to 3 metres and got a respectable 7 litres per minute flow rate from a basin tap just like yours

It could be the supply pipe partly blocked or the tap washer has swollen and is restricting the flow.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks slugbabydotcom and agile for the replies. I'm leaning towards Agile with regards to the problem as the tap used to flow with no problem so should not be a height problem. If it is a washer problem I've replaced cold water tap washers before by turning off at the stop cock what do I do with a hot water tap washer and I have standard sized pipes so what size washer will I require and what type.

so what size washer will I require and what type
This depends totally on the type of tap you have fitted.
Sometimes better to invest in a new tap top conversion kit as sometimes the circlip can come adrift or snap inside which causes a problem like you have experienced

There really is not much point speculating in this sort of problem. Either get it to bits and have a look or call a plumber! The only fault which might not be obvious is as Tony say a swollen, or "spread" washer. These can stop the water getting out of the side of the tap chamber - just trim the edges if you think it's that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back