Slowly Draining Bathroom Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slowly draining bathroom sink. Is the solution simply a case of unscrewing the plastic bit below the sink, and removing the gunk?

If I did unscrew the plastic part in the photo, how much water should U expect to come out?

Thanks.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 2881119134.jpg
    iOS Image - 2881119134.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 258
Sponsored Links
I have a slowly draining bathroom sink. Is the solution simply a case of unscrewing the plastic bit below the sink, and removing the gunk?

If I did unscrew the plastic part in the photo, how much water should U expect to come out?

Thanks.
Slip a poythene bag up over it having first loosened it,keep it upright after fully undoing and any leakage should be contained in the bag.... if water keeps flowing when its part undone theres a blockage in the pipes.

Why don't you start with something simple like dosing unblocker gel, leave overnight and flush with hot water in the morning?

Sponsored Links
Why use chemicals when theres a more reliable method?

I recon OP is not asking this question to confirm what he has done many times before, so why disturb a sealed system if there is a chance something can go wrong...

Why use chemicals when theres a more reliable method?

I recon OP is not asking this question to confirm what he has done many times before, so why disturb a sealed system if there is a chance something can go wrong...

Sorry I am slightly confused now. What can potentially go wrong?

Should I try unblocking chemicals first, or go for the more manual method?

Thanks.

Hold the fitting to prevent any movement of the fitting where it contacts the sink, wear gloves and unscrew the bowl to release a little water and gunge. If water flows back from the right then there is a blockage further on.
There is an O ring in the bowl that shouldnt be left out or distorted.
John :)

Do not use chemicals, they are nasty, and can cause you more issues than they solve! Mechanical methods are always far superior for any blockages. If the sink is empty of water, then at most all you have is the contents of the trap, and whatever may be lying in the pipework downstream. Quite possible the bowl of the trap is full of gunk, if that is the case you may be better binning it and fitting a P trap in its place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back