SLR camera batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,the original Nikon battery for my D80 will no longer charge, and the mickey mouse replacement lasts about 5 mins.
Are genuine batteries costing £50 the way to go, or do some get on OK with certain copycat batteries please?
Ta

Sponsored Links
My experience of replacement battery's over the last 20 odd years is genuine or nothing, even then sometimes they seem inferior.

Seem to remember Nikon did a upgrade which stopped one using third party batteries, I was warned so never did the upgrade and I use third party batteries without a problem with my D7000 DSLR I think the D80 is a DSLR so using a Nikon EN-EL3e Lithium-Ion battery, but is it worth buying a genuine battery, it has a CCD sensor like my Pentax K10D so the ISO is rather limited, it seems there is an option to use six AA batteries.

Both my Pentax and Nikon both use third party batteries without a problem.

The first "Nikon" battery I bought turned out to be a fake so if you go that route buy somewhere reputable and then check very carefully (you may be able to find details of the mass of an original as this is one way the fakes often differ).

I've had luck with some Neewer replacements for my D7000. I got these partly because they came as a set with a USB charger and my Nikon charger had died after a small drop from my desk (a common way for them to die). Not used them long enough, hard enough to be able to give a cast iron guarantee but I've had them over a year and find them fine.

There are clearly many poor/low capacity third party batteries out there, but you may wish to give something like Neewer a go. They have a very wide range of aftermarket replacements and accessories rather than being a name on an ebay page you never see again. The quality/value of some seems well worth a gamble. I don't believe I'm breaching the rules by mentioning this make. To be clear, I have nothing to do with them (just a customer) and my recommendation only goes as far as the batteries I tried for my D7000.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I went with a Duracell compatible battery pack from duracell themselves for £20, time will tell

Back